Summer 2016, Fall 2016 Spring 2017
(2016-2017 academic year)
Student Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to receive need-based Federal assistance, a student must:
- Be enrolled in an eligible program of study; degree-seeking program.
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident or reside in the United States for other than a temporary purpose (supportive documentation may be required to verify residency or citizenship status).
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress in their course of study.
- Not be in default of any loan or owe a repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, or State Grant.
- Demonstrate financial need.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
UNTHSC begins their academic year in the summer (summer/fall/spring). If you plan to attend summer classes and receive federal financial assistance (loans), we will need the new year’s FAFSA before that time (ex: attending summer 2016 courses–we need the 2016-2017 FAFSA before summer course begin).
New Students and New Aid Applicants
- Complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Summer 2016/Fall 2016/Spring 2017. A FSA ID must be used to file the application electronically (your electronic signature). The School Code for UNT Health Science Center is 009768. To complete the FAFSA go to www.fafsa.ed.gov .
- If you are interested in applying for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan complete the following at www.studentloans.gov :
- Sign a Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). New students and new aid applicants to UNTHSC must complete this prior to funds being requested from the Department of Education.
- Complete Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling. New students to UNTHSC and new aid applicants at UNTHSC must complete this prior to funds being requested from the Department of Education.
3. If you are interested in applying for a Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan you may complete the following:
- Direct GradPLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). Borrowers without a valid Grad PLUS MPN on file with the Direct Loan Servicing Center must complete a new MPN. This MPN is a multi-year MPN, and may be used for subsequent award years. Although a new MPN is not required every year, borrowers at UNTHSC are required to submit the PLUS Loan Application to the Financial Aid Office every year in order to apply for the Grad PLUS funds. New students/applicants must complete this.
- Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling: Only students without a valid Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling on file with the Direct Loan Servicing Center must complete the Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling. New students/applicants must complete this.
- PLUS Loan applications are available on the www.studentloans.gov website, for more information visit our Direct Loans page.
Continuing Aid Applicants
- Complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Summer 2016/Fall 2016/Spring 2017. A FSA ID must be used to file the application electronically (your electronic signature). To complete the FAFSA go to www.fafsa.ed.gov .
Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is for International Students who are also Texas residents. This application allows students to apply for state grant aid. State grant funds are very limited, if any, and are awarded based on need and date of application. The 2016-2017 TASFA can be completed via the link below for Summer 2016/Fall 2016/Spring 2017. You submit the application to the UNTHSC Financial Aid Office each year.
2016-2017 applications will be processed within a week to 10 business days. Students will be notified at that time via email should additional information be needed, or when their awards are ready to be accepted on their MyHSC.
This page was last modified on July 1, 2016