Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA on the Web) is the only application students are required to complete in order to apply for financial aid at the Health Science Center. Students who complete the aid application process are considered for all federal, state, and university student financial aid programs. Some programs are first-come, first-served, so please apply as soon as possible after October 1st for the upcoming school year. *Be advised, if you use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer your tax information to your FAFSA, you will receive a letter from the IRS informing you that your tax information was accessed using the IRS DRT.*

Who can apply for aid?

While most students can apply for aid, there are some federal guidelines that determine eligibility.

· Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

· Have a valid Social Security number

· Be accepted for admission by the university and enrolled in a degree or certification program

· Not be in default on any Title IV loan (Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Stafford Loan) or owe a refund or repayment on educational funds received at any institution

· Be registered with the Selective Service, if required

· Enroll in and maintain at least a half-time class load at UNTHSC and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress

Do I need to provide my parent’s information on the FAFSA?

NO. The UNTHSC Financial Aid Office does NOT require parent’s data to be provided on the FAFSA.  Some schools you are applying to may require parent’s data on the FAFSA, so you may want to check with each financial aid office before submitting your application.

Am I considered independent or dependent?

As a Graduate/Professional student you are considered independent, even if your parents claimed you on their federal income tax return.

What is the school code I should use when completing the FAFSA for the University of North Texas Health Science Center?


Why has my financial aid “disappeared”?

Aid will show as “Anticipated” until it has disbursed.  After your aid has disbursed, it will “disappear” from your Account Summary until funds have been officially posted to your bill (usually one business day).

Can an International Student Apply for Financial Aid?

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid.  However, International students who are also Texas residents may be eligible for state aid by completing the Texas Application for Student Financial Aid (TASFA).  That is a paper application that comes out in November each year. Private Education loans may also be available to international students. Students must determine their lender of choice.  UNTHSC does not recommend lenders.

Will my financial aid automatically be renewed each year?

No. You must apply each year. Changes in federal regulations, educational costs and your family circumstances make it necessary to evaluate your eligibility each year. To continue your eligibility, you also must meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines. You may complete a renewal FAFSA on the web October 1st each year at

If I drop a course or withdraw, what will happen to my financial aid?

Dropping courses and/or withdrawing from classes are academic actions that often have financial implications. These implications can be different for each student depending on what type of aid you received, when you withdraw, or how many hours you are still enrolled in if you drop a course. It is your responsibility to understand the effects that these actions will have on your student financial aid. If you are considering dropping a course or withdrawing from classes at UNTHSC, we highly encourage you to contact the Financial Aid Office in order to go over specific implications of these actions.

How do I apply for scholarships at the University of North Texas Health Science Center?

The General Scholarship Application is available each year from early December through end of February. This application is open to all students (as long as they have a student ID#). The application may be found at

You may also search our external scholarship database at the same website:

(choose “opportunities” and then “external”)

Are there sufficient loan resources to finance my graduate education?

Government lending limits are much higher at the Graduate/Professional level than with undergraduate programs. The majority of our students get their full Cost of Attendance Budget met with a combination of federal and institutional loans. Other students do have to pursue credit based options, but our office can assist you with that process as well.

How do I obtain payment deferment on my undergraduate loans?

You must file a student loan deferment form with each “holder” of your student loans. A holder is the lender (e.g. your school or bank) or its designated servicer (e.g. Sallie Mae, ACS, Brazos, etc.). You should obtain the form from the bank or servicer. You must have your enrollment certified by the Registrar and follow the mailing instructions which should accompany the form. You should keep a copy of the form, and follow up with the addressee to be sure your form was received and your deferment status activated.

What is the Federal Work-Study program and how do I qualify?

Work-Study is a federal student employment program which provides job opportunities in career-related positions for students who wish to earn funds to pay for school. The federal government subsidizes the wages of participating students so that the employer has to pay only 25% of the student’s wages. A student’s eligibility is based upon financial need. Students apply for work-study by first applying for financial aid and then subsequently submitting a Work-Study application to the employer offering the position. Participating students are responsible for finding their own jobs; information on available positions is available from the Financial Aid Office or you can look for available jobs Here. Your Financial Aid Officer can provide you with an estimate of your eligibility for Work-Study.

How do I calculate the exact amount I want to borrow with loan fees?

You will use the following calculation if you want to account for the loan origination fee to determine the Gross Loan Amount.

For DL Unsubsidized loans with an origination fee of 1.066%, divide your Amount Needed to Borrow by .98934 (this is 100% – 1.066%) to get your Gross Loan Amount.
For DL Grad PLUS loans with an origination fee of 4.264%, divide your Amount Needed to Borrow by .95736 (this is 100% – 4.264%) to get your Gross Loan Amount.

For example, if you need to borrow $10,000 exactly of your DL Unsubsidized Loan, this is your net amount.  You first have to determine the gross amount you want to accept (amount before loan fees).
$10,000 net / .98934 =$10,108 gross
to check: $10,108 * .01066 = $108 loan fee You would then have 10,000 + 108 loan fee, so you want to borrow $10,108.

What is consolidation?

A consolidation loan combines several student loans into one larger loan from a single lender. The consolidation loan is used to pay off the balances on the other federal student loans. Consolidation has many benefits, but is not necessarily right for everyone. For information on consolidating your loans, click the link below.

How many credit hours are required for full-time or half-time enrollment in my program?

T.C.O.M., D.P.T., P.A., and Pharm.

Students enrolled in these programs are considered Fulltime by the FAO and the Registrar’s Office.


To be considered Fulltime, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters (fall & spring) 9 hours per semester

Summer                                   6 semester hours

Students working on a thesis, dissertation or professional report can also be considered Fulltime.

To be considered Halftime, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters                        5 hours per semester

Summer                                   3 semester hours


To be considered Full-time, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters (fall & spring)   9 hours per semester for Master’s

                                             12 hours per semester for PhD

Summer                                   6 semester hours

To be considered Halftime, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters                        5 hours per semester

Summer                                   3 semester hours

Financial Aid Glossary


This page was last modified on October 3, 2019