Rights and Responsibilities


Students have the right to:

  • Have confidential protection of your financial aid records as mandated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
  • Know what financial aid programs are available at UNTHSC.
  • Know the deadlines and processes for submitting the appropriate applications for each financial aid program that is available.
  • Request an explanation of the programs in your financial aid package.
  • Accept or decline your financial aid award(s).
  • Consult with the Financial Aid Office staff concerning your
    financial aid application, cost of attendance and/or financial problems
    which might arise.
  • Know the Financial Aid Office policies concerning satisfactory academic progress.
  • Know the federal Return of Title IV Funds policy. More information can be found at FINANCIAL AID RETURN OF TITLE IV FUNDS


Students are responsible for:

  • Using financial aid for educational expenses only while attending UNTHSC.
  • Reporting to the Financial Aid Office any additional assistance from non-UNTHSC sources such as scholarships.
  • Notifying the Financial Aid Office of a change in enrollment status.
  • Enrolling in the number of credit hours required per term, that fall within your degree plan in order to graduate.
  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
  • Reading, understanding and retaining copies of all forms submitted or provided.
  • Re-applying for financial aid each year.
  • Completing all application forms accurately and submit them on time.
  • Providing correct information as wrongful reporting can be a violation of federal law.
  • Reading and understanding all materials sent to you from the Financial Aid Office and other financial aid agencies.
  • Keeping the Financial Aid Office informed of changes in address, name, marital status, and financial situation.
  • Completing exit counseling if you received a loan from the Financial Aid Office prior to your separation from UNTHSC, including
    when a student takes a leave of absence, withdraws or graduates.
  • Repaying any financial aid funds due as a result of a withdrawal or over award.
  • Requesting personal assistance if you have questions or do not understand the information provided to you.

Refund Policy

Policy: Students should refer to the refund policy as listed in the current UNT Health Science Center Catalog.

This page was last modified on October 9, 2019