Application and Eligibility
When financial aid is awarded, UNTHSC is required to take into consideration both your Cost of Attendance and Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is the amount of assistance you and your family are expected by the federal government to contribute towards your education during an academic year.
Summer 2021, Fall 2021 Spring 2022 – (2021-2022 academic year)
Students that are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents can apply for federal aid using the FAFSA application. International students who are also Texas residents may be eligible for grant funding through the TASFAA application. Review the financial aid eligibility requirements for both below.
To be eligible to receive need-based and non-need-based Federal assistance, a student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident or reside in the United States for other than a temporary purpose (supportive documentation may be required to verify residency or citizenship status).
- Be accepted by UNTHSC and enrolled in required courses in a degree seeking program.
- Maintain Financial Aid’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in their program of study.
- Not be in default of any loan or owe a repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, or State Grant.
- Demonstrate financial need.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
UNTHSC begins their academic year in the summer (summer/fall/spring). If you plan to attend summer classes and receive federal financial assistance (Loans and/or Federal Work Study), we will need the new year’s FAFSA before that time (ex: attending summer 2021 courses–we need the 2021-2022 FAFSA before summer course begin).
New Students and New Aid Applicants
- Complete the 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Summer 2021/Fall 2021/Spring 2022. Your FSA ID must be used to file the application electronically (your electronic signature). The School Code for UNT Health Science Center is 009768. To complete the FAFSA go to the StudentAid.gov site.*Be advised, if you use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer your tax information to your FAFSA, you will receive a letter from the IRS informing you that your tax information was accessed using the IRS DRT. We do NOT need parents information on the FAFSA application.
- If you are interested in applying for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan complete the following at www.studentaid.gov site:
- Sign a Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). New students and new aid applicants to UNTHSC must complete this prior to funds being requested from the Department of Education.
- Complete Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling. New students to UNTHSC and new aid applicants at UNTHSC must complete this prior to funds being requested from the Department of Education.
- If you are interested in applying for a Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan you may complete the following:
- Direct GradPLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). Borrowers without a valid Grad PLUS MPN on file with the Direct Loan Servicing Center must complete a new MPN. This MPN is a multi-year MPN, and may be used for subsequent award years. Although a new MPN is not required every year, borrowers at UNTHSC are required to submit the PLUS Loan Application on the studentloans.gov site every year in order to apply for the Grad PLUS funds. New students/applicants must complete this.
- Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling: Only students without a valid Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling on file with the Direct Loan Servicing Center must complete the Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling. New students/applicants must complete this.
- PLUS Loan applications are available on the studentaid.gov website, for more information visit our Direct Loans page.
Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)
TASFA is for International Students who are also Texas residents. This application allows students to apply for state/institutional grant aid. State grant funds are very limited, if any, and are awarded based on need and date of application. TASFA students can also apply for Private/Alternative Loans on their own. The 2021-2022 TASFA can be completed via the link below for Summer 2021/Fall 2021/Spring 2022. You submit the application to the UNTHSC Financial Aid Office each year.
Although International students do not qualify for Federal Financial Aid, there are still other resources and opportunities available. International students who are also Texas residents may be eligible for state aid by completing the Texas Application for Student Financial Aid (TASFA). External scholarships and private loans may also be available although, it is the student’s responsibility to find and apply for those options.
We strongly encourage International students to reach out to the International Services Office for additional resources.
Currently there are no Study Abroad programs approved for financial aid assistance
This page was last modified on December 3, 2020