When financial aid is awarded, UNTHSC is required to take into consideration both your Cost of Attendance and Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is the amount of assistance you and your family are expected by the federal government to contribute towards your education during an academic year.
Summer 2017, Fall 2017 Spring 2018
(2017-2018 academic year)
Student Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to receive need-based and non need-based Federal assistance, a student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident or reside in the United States for other than a temporary purpose (supportive documentation may be required to verify residency or citizenship status).
- Be accepted by UNTHSC and enrolled in a degree seeking program.
- Maintain Financial Aid’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in their program of study.
- Not be in default of any loan or owe a repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, or State Grant.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Review student’s “Rights and Responsibilites” Here.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
UNTHSC begins their academic year in the summer (summer/fall/spring). If you plan to attend summer classes and receive federal financial assistance (Loans and/or Federal Work Study), we will need the new year’s FAFSA before that time (ex: attending summer 2017 courses–we need the 2017-2018 FAFSA before summer course begin).
New Students and New Aid Applicants
- Complete the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Summer 2017/Fall 2017/Spring 2018. A FSA ID must be used to file the application electronically (your electronic signature). The School Code for UNT Health Science Center is 009768. To complete the FAFSA go to www.fafsa.ed.gov. *The Department of Education has notified us that the Data Retrieval Tool is down and may not be able to transfer your tax information automatically to your application. You can still complete your FAFSA application by manually imputing your 2015 tax information.*
- If you are interested in applying for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan complete the following at www.studentloans.gov :
- Sign a Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). New students and new aid applicants to UNTHSC must complete this prior to funds being requested from the Department of Education.
- Complete Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling. New students to UNTHSC and new aid applicants at UNTHSC must complete this prior to funds being requested from the Department of Education.
3. If you are interested in applying for a Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan you may complete the following:
- Direct GradPLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). Borrowers without a valid Grad PLUS MPN on file with the Direct Loan Servicing Center must complete a new MPN. This MPN is a multi-year MPN, and may be used for subsequent award years. Although a new MPN is not required every year, borrowers at UNTHSC are required to submit the PLUS Loan Application on the www.studentloans.gov site every year in order to apply for the Grad PLUS funds. New students/applicants must complete this.
- Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling: Only students without a valid Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling on file with the Direct Loan Servicing Center must complete the Grad PLUS Entrance Counseling. New students/applicants must complete this.
- PLUS Loan applications are available on the www.studentloans.gov website, for more information visit our Direct Loans page.
Continuing Aid Applicants
- Complete the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Summer 2017/Fall 2017/Spring 2018. A FSA ID must be used to file the application electronically (your electronic signature). To complete the FAFSA go to www.fafsa.ed.gov .
Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is for International Students who are also Texas residents. This application allows students to apply for state/institutional grant aid. State grant funds are very limited, if any, and are awarded based on need and date of application. TASFA students can also apply for Private/Alternative Loans on their own. The 2017-2018 TASFA can be completed via the link below for Summer 2017/Fall 2017/Spring 2018. You submit the application to the UNTHSC Financial Aid Office each year.
Currently there are no Study Abroad programs approved for financial aid assistance.
The review and awarding process progresses as follows:
- Student ISIR is reviewed by the Financial Aid Office.
- Missing documents needed to complete the student’s file are requested.
- Verification is completed if the student was selected for verification. Corrections are made to the student’s ISIR information, if necessary, to correct errors found during verification.
- Financial Aid Office makes awards and notifies student via email.
- Student accepts, reduces, or declines the award in the Student Self-Service portal.
2017-2018 applications will be processed mid May. Students will be notified at that time via email should additional information be needed, or when their awards are ready to be accepted on their MyHSC.
This page was last modified on August 31, 2017