Counseling Services & Resources
The University of North Texas Health Science Center offers free counseling to students through the WellConnect Program. UNTHSC students receive six free counseling sessions from preferred providers in their area. WellConnect is available to all online students as well.
Website www.wellconnectbysrs.com Code: UNTHSC
Crisis Intervention Contacts
In the event of an emergency or situation that elicits immediate intervention, please contact 911. These contacts play a secondary role to urgent situations and should be contacted only after initial notifications are made.
- Domestic Violence Against Women and Children – Safe Haven of Tarrant County
Hotline: 1-877-701-SAFE (7233)
- John Peter Smith Hospital
Phone: 817-921-3431 (switchboard) or 817-927-1088 (24 hour emergency services)
- Mental Health Association of Tarrant County
- Mental Health Connection of Tarrant County
- Mental Health Mental Retardation (MHMR) of Tarrant County
Phone: 817-569-4300 (main) or 817-335-3022 (crisis line)
- One Safe Place
- Rape Crisis and Victim Services – The Women’s Center of Tarrant County
Hotline: 817-927-2737 or 817-927-4039
- Substance Abuse
- Suicide (National) – National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Suicide North Texas – Suicide and Crisis Center of North Texas
Hotline: 214-828-1000 or 866-672-5100
- United Way of Tarrant County
Find a Psychiatrist
To find a Psychiatrist who is covered under the UNTHSC Student Health Insurance: United Health Care, and one who is located in your area, please follow these instructions:
- Go to uhcsr.com
- In the “Search”box located on the top right, type in: University of North Texas and click “Search”
- The search will pull up the link for “Univ. of North Texas System”listed under “Find My School’s Plan.”
- Click on “Univ. of North Texas System” This should pull up the Univ. of North Texas System page.
- Click on “United Behavioral Health”under “Search for Provider” on the UNT System page.
here, you can narrow your search for Psychiatrists by city, zip code,
and/or clinician name. You can also specify preferences on your doctor’s
gender, ethnicity, and areas of expertise.
The brochures listed below are from the National Institute of Mental Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Depression in Women
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Mental Health Medications
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Social Phobia
- Suicide Risk Factors
Healthline.com – Help for Bipolar Disorder
Stress Reduction & Relaxation Recordings
Feeling stressed? Take a quick study
break to listen to one of these relaxation recordings. You’ll feel more
at ease and able to focus.
- Breathing Exercises (Canyon Ranch Spa)
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation (University of Kansas Medical Center)
- Autogenic Relaxation Training (University of Kansas Medical Center)
Student Parent Resource Guide
Are you a student with a spouse or children? We have created a resource guide compiling various services at UNTHSC and throughout the community. Find information on childcare, food pantries, clothing assistance, community organizations and more!
This page was last modified on August 9, 2017