Frequently Asked Questions

Service Fee

Why is the University assessing a service fee for credit and debit card payments?

HSC is committed to providing students a range of options for paying educational expenses. However, providing complimentary credit or debit card payment services has become prohibitively expensive because of the processing fees assessed by the credit card companies and financial institutions. The expense is currently paid by University revenue and reduces funds available for other needs.

What is the service fee and how was the percentage established?

The service fee is an additional 2.79% of the payment amount. The service fee is the percentage amount charged by the payment processor to cover the cost of credit and debit card transaction fees assessed by the credit card companies and financial institutions.

Do other colleges and universities assess a service fee for credit and debit card payments?

Yes. Many colleges and universities have implemented a similar convenience or service fee charge for credit and debit card payment.

Are debit card payments also charged the service fee?

Yes. However, you can pay by electronic check to avoid the service fee.

How will the service fee appear on my credit or debit card statement?

The service fee will be listed as a separate transaction.


Am I eligible for a refund after dropping a class or withdrawing from the university?

Withdrawing from the university is defined as leaving the university for the remainder of the term and being officially removed from all classes.
Dropping a course or courses (but not withdrawing from the University) within the first 12 days of class in the Fall or Spring term or the first four days of class in a 8- Week or Summer term is eligible for a full refund of applicable tuition and fees for courses dropped.
State Statue 54.006
REFUND OR ADJUSTMENT OF TUITION AND MANDATORY FEES FOR DROPPED COURSES AND STUDENT WITHDRAWALS. (a) A general academic teaching institution or medical and dental unit, as soon as practicable, shall refund the amount of tuition and mandatory fees collected for courses from which students drop within the first 12 days of a fall or spring semester or a summer term of 10 weeks or longer, within the first four days of a term or session of more than five weeks but less than 10 weeks, or within the period specified by the institution for that purpose for a term or session of five weeks or less that is substantially proportional to the period specified by this subsection for a longer term or session. The institution or medical and dental unit may not delay a refund under this subsection on the grounds that the student may withdraw from the institution or unit later in the semester or term.

Title IV Return of Aid (R2T4)

Students who withdraw from UNTHSC or drop all courses during a term that receive (d) financial aid:
It is important for students who receive financial aid and subsequently withdraw or drop all courses during the term be aware of refund policies. In addition, it is important to understand the impact such actions will have on the aid released and their continuing eligibility for financial aid. Current refund policies for students who withdraw or drop all courses during a term are determined by the Higher Education Title IV refund regulations.
Federal Refund and Repayment calculations must be performed for students who receive Title IV (Pell, FSEOG, Perkins and/or Stafford Loans) funds and officially withdraw from all courses, drop out of all courses, are expelled, take an unapproved leave of absence, or fail to return from an approved leave of absence prior to the 60% date of the term. All “unearned aid” must be returned to the federal aid programs as determined by the Federal Refund and Repayment calculations.
The requirements for Title IV program funds are separate from the university refund policy. As such, you are responsible for unpaid institutional charges remaining after the refund calculation. You are also responsible for charges/balances created by the required return of Title IV program funds to the originating federal aid program.
If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at

How much will I receive if I drop a class?

Refunds are for any course dropped prior to the 12th day of class for the fall or spring term or a summer session of 10 weeks or longer. In addition, refunds are 100% within the first four days of class for a term or session of more than five weeks but less than 10 weeks, and within the first two days of class of a session five weeks or shorter. The term’s first day of class is always the first official university day of classes for that specific term or session and not the first day of an individual’s class.

How much will I receive if I withdraw from the university?

Withdrawal refunds are determined by the number of enrolled semester credit hours at the time of withdrawal. The withdrawal percentages is applied to the total amount of tuition and fees, NOT the amount paid. The schedule below shows the amount you will receive a refund based on the term and day you withdraw from the university. The term’s first day of class is always the first official university day of classes for that specific term or session and not the first day of an individual’s class. A withdrawal refund is based on the day of withdrawal, regardless of the date the class first meets.

1098-T Tax Information

Why did the university change reporting methods from amounts billed to amounts paid?

The IRS is requiring that all colleges and universities begin reporting qualified amounts paid for current tax year rather than qualified amounts billed. The IRS decided to make the change as many filers were inaccurately reporting amounts paid.

How will this change affect how I file for my credit?

To meet this new requirement, we have changed how we are reporting this information beginning in tax year 2017 which runs from January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017, only the qualified tuition and related expenses actually paid in tax year 2017 will be reported on Form 1098-T in Box 1.

Will my payments made in a prior year be included in Box 1?

Payments made in a prior tax year will not be included in Box 1 of the current years 1098-T tax form.

What are qualified tuition and related expenses?

Qualified tuition and related expenses are tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution. Amounts paid for any course or other involving sports, games, or hobbies (unless part of your degree program or taken to acquire or improve job skills) and fees for room, board, insurance, medical expenses (including student health fees), transportation, and similar personal expenses are not considered qualified tuition and related expenses.

Where can I get a copy of my current and past 1098-T’s?

Log in to MyHSC Student Center. Under Finances select Account Balance, then select Account Services, then select the 1098T tab, and click on the desired 1098T tax year you need. You will be able to print a copy of each tax year that a form has been generated for you. To view and print the form, please make sure you have turned off your pop-up blockers.

When can I access my 1098-T form?

You will be able to access your 1098-T tax form by January 31.

What are the requirements for claiming an educational tax credit?

What is form W-9S? Who must complete this form?

If we do not have your social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) listed in our system, we will notify you to complete a  W-9S.  A W-9S is needed so that we are able to put your SSN or ITIN on the 1098-T form required by the IRS. Please submit the form and a copy of your SSN or ITIN to Student Accounting located at SSC-Room 150.  DO NOT EMAIL THIS INFORMATION. If you would like to fax the information, please fax to 817-735-0677

Who do I contact if I have questions about the amounts filled in on the 1098-T form?

Please email us at  Be sure you include your full name and student ID with your request for additional information. The University cannot provide tax advice concerning income taxes or the applicability of claiming an educational tax credit to individual situations. Questions concerning income tax matters should be directed to a tax professional or the IRS. You may also find the following references/sources helpful:

Third Party

Hazlewood Act/VA Benefits-Certification

Please email the Registrar’s Office at

What if my name is not on the Payment Authorization/Order for Supplies/Service Form from the Military or not eligible for entitlement, before the first day of class?

Students is 100% responsible for his/her tuition & fees until the name is added to the Payment Authorization/Order for Supplies/Service Form.

Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan-Texas Tomorrow (TGTP)

Student who would like to use the Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan-Texas Tomorrow (TGTP) must submit a copy of their TGTP card or In-state enrollment verification statement, along with the Third-Party Student Authorization Form for TGTP to the Third-Party Coordinator at least 10 days prior to the first day of the term.

Competitive Scholarship

Non-Texas residents receiving a competitive scholarship of at least $1,000 for the academic year, are eligible to pay in-state Texas resident tuition for the fall, spring, and summer terms.

For information on the Competitive Scholarship, please email the Scholarship Office at

Dean’s Scholarship:

The scholarship is considered a competitive scholarship, however, the competitive scholarship waiver is not guaranteed with the scholarship.

For information on the Dean’s Scholarship, please email the Scholarship Office at


Student Health Insurance and Health Insurance Waivers

Student Health Insurance

All eligible students are required to maintain health insurance coverage while enrolled at HSC. Eligible students are automatically enrolled in the university Student Health Insurance policy with the option to opt out with verification of comparable coverage.

For questions regarding the Student Insurance plan and waivers, please contact:

Tina Hay – Student Health Coordinator