Getting Help

Title IX Reporting: Where to Report Sexual Violence

UNTHSC prohibits sexual harassment. Click here to view UNTHSC’s Sexual Harassment Policy. UNTHSC also prohibits retaliation. Additional information can be found in the Prohibition of Sexual Assault and Retaliation Policy.

If you need information provided in other accessible formats or accommodations to access any of our services, please contact the Division of Student Affairs at 817-735-2505 and they will be provided upon request.

What is sexual violence?

Sexual violence refers to physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person’s will or where a person is incapable of giving consent due to the victim’s use of drugs or alcohol. An individual may be unable to give consent due to an intellectual disability or other disability such as being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Sexual violence can occur between friends, classmates, spouses, romantic interests, short acquaintances, or strangers. Examples of sexual violence include rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion.

Get medical attention immediately.

The primary concern for victims of sexual violence is to address medical issues related to physical injury, sexually transmitted infections, and/or pregnancy. The secondary concern is the collection of evidence to aid in a possible police investigation. Valuable physical evidence can only by obtained within 96 hours of a sexual assault.

Contact authorities.

Campus or local police- You may file a police report with campus police for sexual assaults occurring on campus or with local police for sexual assaults occurring off campus. When making a report to the police, you may choose to report using a pseudonym so that your name will not appear in public files.

  • UNTHSC Police Department: 817-735-2600 Location: 3600 Mattison Avenue

Title IX Coordinator- You may also contact the university Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator will also begin an investigation upon request and will assume responsibility for your ongoing opportunities to take full advantage of your educational program.

Student Conduct Officer- You may contact the Student Conduct Officer who will begin an investigation upon your request. If the aggressor was a student, the Director, Student Services will investigate possible violations of the Student Code of Conduct and Discipline which could result in disciplinary sanctions up to expelling a student from the university. The Student Conduct Officer may also be able to immediately remove another student from the university if the student puts the university community at immediate risk. The Director, Student Services may also be able to assist with changes in academic arrangements if reasonable accommodations are available.

Any of these campus authorities are available to assist you with reporting to police or to other campus officials.

What if I was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the sexual assault?

Use of alcohol or drugs impacts an individual’s ability to consent to a sexual act and does not mean the victim is at fault for the sexual assault either.

Can I make a confidential report to campus officials?

While the university will make every effort to maintain confidentiality, the university cannot guarantee confidentiality in all cases. The university is obligated to provide a safe environment for all students and requires for confidentiality will be evaluated against factors such as the seriousness of the allegations, whether there have been other complaints about the same individual and the alleged aggressor’s right to receive information about the allegation in a student misconduct proceeding.

What is the process for investigation of a complaint of sexual assault?

If you file a report with the Title IX Coordinator, you will be contacted by a representative of the office to schedule a meeting to collect the facts related to the incident. The purpose of the initial meeting will also be to assure that you have access to all the necessary resources and that there will be no impact on your opportunity to participate in your educational program. You should be prepared to address any changes to your academic program that may be appropriate based on the circumstances.

Once you have filed a complaint you will be updated regularly regarding the status of the investigation and any outcomes of the investigation. You should expect to receive an equal opportunity for participation in the investigation and any subsequent proceeding as the individual who is the subject of the complaint.

What should I do if I witnessed a crime of sexual assault?

If you are a witness to a crime of sexual violence you should report the incident to campus or local police. You may also speak with the Title IX Coordinator who can assist you with further reporting as appropriate.


The Federal Campus Sexual Assault Victims’ Bill of Rights

  • Survivors shall be notified of their options to notify law enforcement.
  • Accuser and accuse must have the same opportunity to have others present.
  • Both parties shall be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.
  • Survivors shall be notified of counseling services.
  • Survivors shall be notified of options for changing academic and living situations.

The Prevalence of Sexual Assault

By Age

  • 44% of victims are under the age of 18
  • 80% of victims are under the age of 30
  • 15% of victims are under the age of 12

By Gender

  • In 2003, 90% of rape victims were women


  • 60% of sexual assaults go unreported
  • 3% of rapists serve time in prison


  • 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim
  • 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger


This page was last modified on December 10, 2019