March

Fighting Food Insecurity during National Nutrition Month

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog As a health coach in a program for low-income residents of Fort Worth, I had the privilege of working with one client, Jim* who was motivated, smart, friendly, well-read, and a great conversationalist. His goal was to go back to school and…
Homeless Cat

Pets and Love Go Hand in Hand

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog Katherine Fogelberg, DVM, PhD In celebration of “Love Your Pet Day” this February 20th, I’d like to talk about the pets of homeless people.  This population likely doesn’t cross your mind unless you happen to see them and even then, your thoughts…
1N0A0565 2

Her Mind Went Traveling

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog The North Central Texas Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association supports caregivers, families and individuals whose lives have changed due to dementia or Alzheimer’s. One caregiver, Laura, used to write poetry with her mother, and has shared her family’s journey with the Alzheimer’s…
homeless christmas tree

Home for the Holidays: Reflections on Social Connectedness

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog I was in my early 20’s when I held my first “real” job as a social worker, serving as a counselor for a domestic violence shelter.  In my first year there, I was scheduled to work on Christmas day and I recall…
Roy Brooks 1

Community Blog-Prostate cancer and African-American men: A call for health equity

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog Two years ago, County Commissioner Roy Brooks underwent surgery to remove prostate cancer.  Two years prior to that, his brother died of prostate cancer. When interviewed prior to his surgery, Commissioner Brooks said: “Men of color are at much higher risk of…