Blog Oct 1

October is Health Literacy Month: Do You Hear What I Hear?

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog Introduction My daughter, an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), recently relayed a story about a call to which she responded. It involved an elderly couple in which the husband nearly killed his wife. How? Miscommunication, or a lack of health literacy. Healthcare miscommunication…
Breastfeeding

Community Blog:- How communities can help nursing moms sustain breastfeeding

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog Engaging the Community Guest Blogger: Dani Cagle, MPH, CPH, IBCLC Few mommy-moments are as intimate as breastfeeding. From the perspective of a health professional, there is no question that breast milk is the best nutrition for a newborn. As a new mom, I…
Food Bank 1

SPH volunteers feed the hungry

Nearly 60 School of Public Health volunteers recently spent a day with the Tarrant Area Food Bank, where they helped provide over 18,000 meals for hungry children, families and seniors across North Texas. SPH students, faculty and staff took on morning and afternoon shifts at the Food…
Smoke Free3

Public health students volunteer for Smoke-Free Fort Worth

UNT Health Science Center public health students volunteered at the recent Cowtown Marathon Health and Fitness Expo February 24-25, 2017, sharing information about the Smoke-Free Fort Worth effort to pass a comprehensive smoke-free city ordinance in public locations and workplaces. School of Public Health Epidemiology…