July 2018 Blog I

Summer Safety: Accidental drowning and racial disparities

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog   With summer temperatures exceeding 100 degrees, Tarrant county residents often flock to pools and lakes for relief from the heat. While water can indeed bring cool relief, it can also be dangerous.  In fact, as of June 27, 2018, Tarrant County…
Homeless Drinking 1

New NIH study: Smartphone app could improve alcohol treatment, quality of life for homeless adults

By Sally Crocker Researchers from UNT Health Science Center (UNTHSC) and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (OUHSC) have been awarded a two-year, $650,000 National Institutes of Health (NIH) R34 grant to develop and test a novel smartphone-based alcohol treatment for homeless adults. Scott Walters, PhD, Professor and Chair of Health Behavior and Health Systems…
June 2018 Blog Iii

Protecting the Fathers and Families of Tomorrow

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog A study released in 2012 by the American Society of Clinical Oncology using NHANES data in The Journal of the American Medical Association found that 10.1 percent of men were infected with HPV of one type or another, compared with just 3.6…
May 1 Maternal Mortality

Losing Texas Mothers: Maternal Mortality in the Lone Star State

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog   “There is an emptiness inside of me ‐‐a void that will never be filled. No one in your life will ever love you as your mother does. There is no love as pure, unconditional and strong as a mother's love. And…
April Blog 1

A beautiful life cut short

School of Public Health & Texas Center for Health Disparities Community Blog In late October of 2005, I gave a presentation on high- risk domestic violence to law enforcement officers in Dallas. I had spent the prior 14 years addressing domestic violence as a social worker and a researcher, and had totally immersed myself…