PhD (Research-Based) Application Guide
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (students that are completing their final semester at the time of application are eligible to apply). The admissions committee holistically reviews each applicant by considering all components of the application when making an admissions decision. Application files are not complete and will not be processed until all supporting documentation, including the application fee, have been received.
Online Application via BiomedCAS (Deadline for Fall 2023 is March 1st, 2023)
$83 application fee directly to BiomedCAS platform. $50 UNTHSC Application Processing Fee, paid via link provided to applicants.
Official transcript(s) from every college/university attended
- Please note, all transcripts are required. If you took one course at a community college or participated in a study abroad opportunity, we will need a transcript from the college where you completed the class.
- If you are still enrolled in classes, please request a transcript from your current institution after grades for the fall semester post to your record. We will also need to see your Spring registration (if you are enrolled for Spring)
- If you attended a college/university outside the U.S. you must submit an official WES course-by-course evaluation.
NOTE: Please submit official transcripts and WES evaluations directly to BiomedCAS.
3 Letters of recommendation
- BiomedCAS platform will support your recommendation submissions.
- Identify your recommenders, enter their names and contact information in BiomedCAS. The platform will automatically contact them to complete a recommendation rubric and upload a letter.
- We recommend the applicant contact their recommenders to ensure they see this communication.
- Letters must be on letterhead and signed.
- An official GRE score is optional. Institution code: 6909
- An official TOEFL score is required for applicants who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents unless you’ve completed a degree program within the U.S. Institution code: 6909.
UNTHSC’s English Language Requirements: Applicants may meet language requirements by one of the following:
- TOEFL language exam taken in the last 2 years. See each program admission requirements for score minimums.
- Completing or expected to complete a US-accredited Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degree before matriculation at UNTHSC.
- College/University Degree or Citizenship from specific English-speaking countries. Official transcripts and degrees will need to be provided. Schools of attendance must be recognized by UNTHSC.
- Complete Level 6 at UNT system Intensive English Language Institute (IELI): The Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) at the University of North Texas helps international students develop academic skills in English. **We do not accept intensive English language completion from other institutions.
- Submit Online Application via BioMedCAS
- Pay the application fee
- After the application fee has been posted, you will receive an email with a PIN that will allow you to activate your MyHSC student portal, where you can check the status of your application.
- If you’ve applied to any UNT program in the past, you should already have access to MyHSC and will not receive this email. You can click the forgot EUID/password links on the login page to access your record.
- If you have activated your MyHSC student portal and cannot access your account, please contact Admissions@unthsc.edu.
- The School of Biomedical Sciences will begin to process your application and create check-list items to be completed in order to proceed through the application process. The check-list items can be viewed on your MyHSC student portal.
- Submit remaining documents required for the application.
We have a centralized admissions process meaning all applications are reviewed by a committee comprised of faculty representatives from each department. Individual faculty do not make admissions decisions. All applications completed by the deadline are reviewed by the admissions committee. The admissions committee meets to review applications completed by the deadline from late January through April.
Any questions should be directed to Admissions@unthsc.edu, please use the subject “Biomed PhD Applicant”.