The Admissions team is ready to help you learn more about the School of Biomedical Sciences application process and answer your questions. Attend an upcoming admissions event, sign-up for a campus tour, or schedule a virtual advising session. After reviewing the information below, if you have additional questions, please reach out to our admissions office at email@example.com.
Please visit the HSC Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response website for more information.
Graduate Application Requirements
The applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (students that are completing their final semester at the time of application are eligible to apply). The admissions committee holistically reviews each applicant by considering all components of the application when making an admissions decision. Application files are not complete and will not be processed until all supporting documentation, including the application fee, has been received.
Application materials including official transcripts and evaluations, letters of recommendation, fee payments, official test scores, and any other required items must be received no later than 2 weeks or 15 days after the posted deadline. For example, if an application closes on the 1st, all items will be due by the 15th; if an application closes on the 15th, all items will be due on the 1st.
Applications for SBS programs are supported on a variety of online platforms. Please follow the link below based on your program of interest.
- MS in Medical Science application is located on PostbacCAS. (Summer (cohort) opens Nov. 15; Fall (online) opens April 15, 2023)
- PhD/MS (traditional bench research) application is located on BioMedCAS. (Opens Nov. 1, 2022)
- MS in Clinical Research Management (spring, summer, and fall starts) application is located on GradCAS. (Spring start opens September 8th.)
- MS in Biotechnology (spring, summer, https://biomedcas2022.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/programSearch/newand fall starts) application is located on GradCas. (Spring start opens September 8th.)
- Biomedical Entrepreneurship (fall start) certificate application located on the HSC Certificate Application. (Opens Jan. 15, 2023)
Admission Requirements & Official Credentials
To be considered for admission, the applicant must submit the following official credentials to the appropriate CAS portal (see links above) :
- Application Processing Fees:
- MS in Medical Science $189 via PostbacCAS (Includes $50 application processing fee to UNTHSC)
- Traditional Ph.D./MS $130 via BioMedCAS (Includes $50 application processing fee to UNTHSC)
- MS in CRM $88 via GradCAS (Includes $50 application processing fee)
- MS in Biotechnology $88 via GradCAS (Includes $50 application processing fee)
- A portion of the application fee may be waived for McNair scholars with documentation of participation.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- A course-by-course WES ICAP is also required for transcripts from institutions outside the U.S.
- If applying through PostbacCAS, BioMedCAS, or GradCAS, WES will need your CAS ID in order to properly route your evaluation. If you ordered your WES evaluation without a PostbacCAS, BioMedCAS, or GradCAS ID, click here to learn how to proceed (select the appropriate platform from the drop-down and scroll down to “Additional Information”).
- If applying through the HSC Certificate Application, choose “University of North Texas – Fort Worth TX” when selecting the recipient(s).
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- No SBS program requires a standardized exam for entrance.
- Optional test submissions include:
- MS in Medical Science – MCAT, DAT, PCAT, or GRE via PostbacCAS optional documents area
- MS/PhD Biomedical Sciences – GRE via BiomedCAS code 3411
- MS Clinical Research Management – GRE via GradCAS code 3410
- MS Biotechnology – GRE via GradCAS code 3410
- A TOEFL score is required for international applicants.
- BioMedCAS use code #B765
- GradCAS use code #B886
- PostbacCAS use code #B841
- Supplemental materials may be submitted (GRE score, certificates, etc.) but are not required unless designated by application requirements per program Program-Specific Application Processes.
Prerequisite Courses Required
Medical Science Cohort and Online Prerequisite Requirements:
- General or Inorganic Chemistry: at least six credits of course work and two credits of laboratory work
- Biology: at least 12 semester credits of course work and two credits of laboratory work
- Physics: at least six semester credits of course work and two credits of laboratory work
- Organic Chemistry: at least six semester credits of course work and two credits of laboratory work
- English: two 3-credit semester courses
- Statistics: one 3-credit semester course
Clinical Research Management, Biotechnology do not have specific pre-requisite courses required; however, a strong science background with lab experience is highly recommended.
Traditional (Research-Based) MS and Ph.D. programs do not have specific prerequisite courses required; however, a strong science background with lab experience is highly recommended.
|MS in Medical Science Cohort (on campus)
|MS in Medical Science Online
|MS in Clinical Research Management
|MS in Biotechnology
|Traditional (Bench Research) MS and PhD
Please note applications for each term close at 11pm CST on dates indicated above.
Applications that close on the 1st require all documents to be received by the 15th. Applications that close on the 15th require all documents by the following 1st.
It is highly recommended that non-U.S. citizens apply well in advance of these deadlines to allow the preparation of immigration documents.
All application materials submitted become the property of UNT Health Science Center and cannot be returned.
Important: All SBS admissions committees review files on a rolling basis. The earlier your application file is complete, the sooner your file will be reviewed. If you are currently enrolled, your application must include transcripts with the previous semester’s grades and a copy of the current semester registration.
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Pharmacy, or School of Health Professions and are applying for the graduate portion of a dual degree program should complete the online application as directed above. Once the application has been submitted, these applicants should then notify the admissions office by emailing our office at Admissions@unthsc.edu of the specific dual degree program to which they are applying.
- Non-degree seeking & course transfer students:
- Students at the University of North Texas (UNT) requesting enrollment for classes to transfer to UNT for their degree programs should e-mail their request to Admissions@unthsc.edu rather than completing an application.
Please view the catalog for official admissions policies.
The Certificate in Biomedical Entrepreneurship is the only application that requires document submission directly to the school at the time of application.
UNT Health Science Center
Attn: Office of Admissions
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX 76107