Occupational Safety Plan
The Occupational-Safety-Plan-2022-2023 provides guidance and information on how to access occupational health program services.
During Business Hours:
Priority Care Clinic
UNTHSC Health Pavilion
855 Montgomery St.
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Weekend and After Business Hours:
Go to the emergency room of your choosing.
The following are steps to be taken in the event of:
- BLOOD BORNE PATHOGEN EXPOSURE
- BIOHAZARD EXPOSURE
For Students at UNTHSC
- For Students at UNTHSC
1. Encourage the wound to bleed under running water for 15 seconds.
2. Clean exposed area with soap and water for at least 15 minutes.
3. If mucous membranes exposed to fluid, flush with water or saline for at least 15 minutes.
4. If the source patient is known and present, request the patient allow a blood draw for testing.
5. Notify instructor / clinic supervisor / hospital supervisor to report injury.
6. As soon as possible, notify Preceptor and/or HSC Program Director in accordance with program’s guidance and expectations.
a. If on clinical rotation, follow rotation site’s protocols.
b. If clinical rotation site is in the DFW area and does not have a protocol, contact HSC Health Student Health Clinic at 817-735-5051.
c. If at a clinical rotation site outside the DFW area that does not have a protocol, go to the nearest Emergency Room or Urgent Care Center.
7. Initial and Follow-up care, if necessary, should be provided by the same facility, when possible.
8. If you are required to pay for services, use your personal health insurance.
9. Bills and claims associated with blood borne pathogen exposures should be sent to Health@unthsc.edu for reimbursement and payment. 10. All student bloodborne pathogen exposures should be reported via the HSC Student BBP Post-Exposure Survey found on HSC Student Health Clinic webpage.
For Faculty and Staff at UNTHSC
- Encourage the wound to bleed under running water for 15 seconds.
- Clean exposed area with soap and water for at least 15 minutes.
- If mucous membranes exposed to fluid, flush with water or saline for at least 15 minutes.
- If the source patient is known and present, request the patient allow a blood draw for testing.
- Notify instructor / clinic supervisor / hospital supervisor to report injury
- During Business Hours – Obtain medical evaluation and treatment at the Priority Care Clinic, UNTHSC Health Pavilion, 855 Montgomery St., Fort Worth, TX 76107 Phone: 817-735-2273
- Weekend and After Business Hours – Please go to the nearest emergency room of your choice if injured on the weekend or after hours.
- Complete any/all paperwork necessary by Human Resources.
- HSC Health employees – Please report via Riskonnect.