Use this electronic form to request space. Please submit any questions to Lori.Knowles@unthsc.edu.
Space Justification Form Submission Deadlines FY 2021
September 23, 2020
December 23, 2020
March 29, 2021
Space Committee Meeting Dates FY 2021
September 30, 2020
January 4, 2021
April 5, 2021
- Jason Hartley, Vice President for Operations
- Robert McClain, Associate Vice President for Research and Innovation
- Charles Taylor, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Develop principles and procedures for allocating and reallocating space pertaining to administration, education, research, and clinical practice activities.
- Review all plans and proposals for allocating and reallocating space, such as:
- Transferring space between divisions or schools
- Changing the current use of space
- Reallocating vacated space
- Providing space for new programs or positions
- Consult with areas affected by a space request to finalize a space allocation agreement; in cases when an agreement cannot be reached, make recommendations to the Cabinet for their final decision.
- Develop and maintain a space inventory.
- Produce reports for the President, Vice Presidents, and Deans.
- Request audits of space allocation as necessary to determine current usage.
- Undertake special studies requested by the President or the Cabinet
- Develop and recommend planning allocations for deferred maintenance related to classrooms and educational space (3 to 5-year plan).
- Investigate specific issues related to campus space as requested by the President or Cabinet
- Requests/initiatives related to the university strategic plan will have a higher priority than other requests/initiatives.
- Preference shall be given to requests that demonstrate sharing of resources and/or equipment.
- Facilities are allocated to departments/units for a specific purpose. When that purpose is no longer required, the space should be made available to the university for reallocation through the space assignment/allocation process.
- When a department/unit moves into new space, the space vacated as a result of that move reverts to the university for reallocation through the space assignment/allocation process.
- Specific criteria to be considered when reviewing facility requests will include
- Health and safety requirements
- Core space needs for programs
- Functionality/utility/efficiency of space
- Adjacency or unity of programs
- Accessibility of space
- Funding availability
- Faculty recruitment/retention
- Urgency of need
- The use of space to meet storage needs will be secondary to the use of space to meet strategic needs.
- On-campus storage space is limited and should be utilized only for equipment and other materials that require frequent access.
- Long term storage (items not requiring regular access) shall be stored in an off-campus location.
- Research space allocations will be managed in a way that is consistent with the guidelines developed by the research space task force and the President’s Research Council.
- Members of the Space Committee are appointed by the President and will serve for a 36 month term
- Quarterly the committee will report back to the President
This page was last modified on July 17, 2020