Use this electronic form to request space. Please submit any questions to Lori.Knowles@unthsc.edu.
- Jason Hartley, Vice President for Operations
- Robert McClain, Associate Vice President for Research and Innovation
- Charles Taylor, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Develop principles and procedures for allocating and reallocating space pertaining to administration, education, research, and clinical practice activities.
- Review all plans and proposals for allocating and reallocating space, such as:
- Transferring space between divisions or schools
- Changing the current use of space
- Reallocating vacated space
- Providing space for new programs or positions
- Consult with areas affected by a space request to finalize a space allocation agreement; in cases when an agreement cannot be reached, make recommendations to the Cabinet for their final decision.
- Develop and maintain a space inventory.
- Produce reports for the President, Vice Presidents, and Deans.
- Request audits of space allocation as necessary to determine current usage.
- Undertake special studies requested by the President or the Cabinet
- Develop and recommend planning allocations for deferred maintenance related to classrooms and educational space (3 to 5-year plan).
- Investigate specific issues related to campus space as requested by the President or Cabinet
- Requests/initiatives related to the university strategic plan will have a higher priority than other requests/initiatives.
- Preference shall be given to requests that demonstrate sharing of resources and/or equipment.
- Facilities are allocated to departments/units for a specific purpose. When that purpose is no longer required, the space should be made available to the university for reallocation through the space assignment/allocation process.
- When a department/unit moves into new space, the space vacated as a result of that move reverts to the university for reallocation through the space assignment/allocation process.
- Specific criteria to be considered when reviewing facility requests will include
- Health and safety requirements
- Core space needs for programs
- Functionality/utility/efficiency of space
- Adjacency or unity of programs
- Accessibility of space
- Funding availability
- Faculty recruitment/retention
- Urgency of need
- The use of space to meet storage needs will be secondary to the use of space to meet strategic needs.
- On-campus storage space is limited and should be utilized only for equipment and other materials that require frequent access.
- Long term storage (items not requiring regular access) shall be stored in an off-campus location.
- Research space allocations will be managed in a way that is consistent with the guidelines developed by the research space task force and the President’s Research Council.
- Members of the Space Committee are appointed by the President and will serve for a 36 month term
- Quarterly the committee will report back to the President
This page was last modified on January 10, 2020