Mental Health: Counseling and Community Resources
Nearest Mental Health Authority
MHMR of Tarrant County
3840 Hulen Tower North
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Crisis Phone (call or text): 800-866-2465 (toll-free) I 817-335-3022 (local) I 817-569-4488 (tty)
Main Phone: 817-569-4300
Resources for students, in addition to student parents and family members of students can be found through the Office of Care and Civility Resources Page.
The University of North Texas Health Science Center offers free counseling to students with My SSP through Morneau Sheppell. My SSP is available to all online students as well.
Contact Morneau Sheppell:
My SSP through Morneau Shepell (24/7 immediate and ongoing counseling):
1-866-743-7732 | us.myissp.com |
Or call or chat directly from the free My SSP app.
Crisis Intervention Contacts
In the event of an emergency or situation that elicits immediate intervention, please contact 911. These contacts play a secondary role to urgent situations and should be contacted only after initial notifications are made.
- Domestic Violence Against Women and Children – Safe Haven of Tarrant County
Hotline: 1-877-701-SAFE (7233)
- John Peter Smith Hospital
Phone: 817-921-3431 (switchboard) or 817-927-1088 (24 hour emergency services)
- Mental Health Association of Tarrant County
- Mental Health Connection of Tarrant County
- One Safe Place
- Rape Crisis and Victim Services – The Women’s Center of Tarrant County
Hotline: 817-927-2737 or 817-927-4039
- Substance Abuse
Hotline: 1-800-622-4357 (HELP)
- Suicide (National) – National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Suicide North Texas – Suicide and Crisis Center of North Texas
Hotline: 214-828-1000 or 866-672-5100
- United Way of Tarrant County
Find a Psychiatrist
To find a Psychiatrist who is covered under the UNTHSC Student Health Insurance: United Health Care, and one who is located in your area, please follow these instructions:
- Go to uhcsr.com
- In the “Search”box located on the top right, type in: University of North Texas and click “Search”
- The search will pull up the link for “Univ. of North Texas System”listed under “Find My School’s Plan.”
- Click on “Univ. of North Texas System” This should pull up the Univ. of North Texas System page.
- Click on “United Behavioral Health”under “Search for Provider” on the UNT System page.
- From here, you can narrow your search for Psychiatrists by city, zip code, and/or clinician name. You can also specify preferences on your doctor’s gender, ethnicity, and areas of expertise.
This page was last modified on June 1, 2020