Minimize the Risk
Guideline for Interaction between Program Adults and Minors
- One-on-one interactions between program adults and minors should be limited (i.e., at least two adults should be present at all times with minors). No adult should ever be alone with a minor in an isolated place. In situations that require personal conferences, the meeting is to be conducted in view of other program adults.
- No minor should ever sit on the laps of program adults.
- No frontal hugs. An adult from time to time may feel a minor a needs a hug for support or comfort. The adult must use a shoulder to shoulder hug.
- Contact between program adults and minors are restricted to organization-sanctioned activities and times. Program adults should not contact minors outside of program activities or program specific needs.
- Rough housing or hazing is prohibited. Program adults will not wrestle, tickle, or in any way engage a minor in an activity where the adult’s hands might come in contact with the breasts or genital area of the minor. No program adult or minor is to participate in any kind of hazing or initiation activity.
- Wear appropriate attire. At all times, adults will be dressed modestly. Clothes such as swimsuits, shorts, and tops are not to be revealing or in any way draw attention to the breasts, buttocks, or genital area. Equally important, program adults should monitor the clothing worn by minors. Clothing should follow the same guidelines above and should be appropriate for the weather and program activities.
Guidelines for Providing a Safe Environment
- Provide orientation of UNTHSC Policies and procedures to Minors: For example, if Minors or Individuals will be in a laboratory, they will be oriented to safety or other site-specific policies or procedures.
- Control access to minors: Limit contact between minors and individuals not associated with the program. Monitor the comings and goings of all minors and adults who enter and leave the facility. Be particularly alert to opportunities that are presented when activities occur in public spaces.
- Conduct activities in spaces that are open and visible to multiple people. Ensure there are clear sight lines throughout activity spaces. Secure areas not used for program purposes (e.g., closets, storerooms) to prevent minors from being isolated.
* NOTE – UNTHSC prohibits any overnight programs or activities for minors unless approved by the President!
This page was last modified on April 16, 2018