Students currently enrolled in fully accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine may be considered for advanced standing admission to the third year of medical studies at TCOM. Students must demonstrate both the completion and equivalency of a medical school curriculum equivalent to the first two years of medical education at TCOM. The applicant must have valid reasons for transfer, have maintained good academic standing, be qualified in every respect, including academic performance, met all other requirements for admission, and be eligible for continuation. Admission is competitive and depends upon space availability.
Guidelines for Eligibility
- An applicant who has been dismissed from or has withdrawn from another medical college for academic reasons will NOT be considered for advanced standing.
- An applicant who had previously applied to TCOM for admission as a first year student and was not accepted will be considered for advanced standing only if academic performance in medical school has been distinguished as determined by the Admissions Committee.
- An applicant who has taken all premedical or medical studies in foreign institutions, including the medical schools of the Caribbean region, will NOT be considered for admission in advanced standing.
- Applicants from related professions, such as dentistry, or those who have completed related basic sciences as a graduate or health professional student are considered for admission only to the first year medical class, regardless of degree held.
Prospective transfer students should submit their preliminary requirements no later than October 1 of the year prior to matriculation. Before the processing of any application for admission in advanced standing, an applicant must first submit the following information:
- A completed Transfer Admissions Preliminary Request Form 2017 (available pdf document).
- A letter addressed to the Office of Admissions and Outreach indicating reason(s) for transfer.
- Official transcripts of all medical school coursework;
- the dates and outcome of any previous applications for TCOM.
Prospective transfer students should submit his/her preliminary requirements no later than October 1 of the year prior to matriculation.
Applicants who meet all preliminary requirements and the stated guidelines for eligibility will be invited to submit all of the required materials and information for full consideration as an applicant for admission in advanced standing:
- A completed application obtained from the Office of Medical Student Admission at Outreach and a filing fee of $100. The deadline for receipt of applications is January 15 of the year of proposed matriculation. All necessary supporting documents must also be received by January 15. Incomplete applications will be withdrawn from further consideration. No exceptions will be made.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate colleges, graduate schools, and medical colleges. Official transcripts of the most recent medical school studies completed are needed first. Copies or hand-carried transcripts are not acceptable.
- A letter of evaluation from the dean of students at the medical school currently attending. This letter must indicate that the dean of the school has given full approval for the application for transfer.
- Official scores from all Medical College Admissions Tests taken (if not previously submitted through the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service).
- Scores on all external medical examinations taken (COMLEX, USMLE). Official test results should be sent directly to the Office of Medical Student Admissions from the testing boards. Applicant should indicate when examinations are to be taken if no scores are available.
- A personal statement of reasons for applying for admission in advanced standing. This statement should be addressed to the Admissions Committee.
- A personal interview. Applicants who are under consideration for transfer may be invited to the Health Science Center for personal interviews at the discretion of the Admissions Committee.
The Admissions Committee will consider only applications that are complete in every aspect and that are received on or before January 15.
For more information, contact:
Office of Medical Student Admissions and Outreach
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of North Texas Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, Texas 76107-2699
This page was last modified on September 18, 2017