White Coat Ceremony
With a grant from the Arnold P. Gold Foundation of New York, the University of North Texas Health Science Center began the celebration of a White Coat Ceremony in August of 1996. The White Coat Ceremony is a “rite of passage” for health science center students that encourages a psychological contract for professionalism and empathy. The event emphasizes the importance of the foundational mission of the institution: education, research, patient care and service.
The HSC ceremony takes place at the Will Rogers Memorial Auditorium in front of family, friends and selected faculty. The incoming students are welcomed by the President, Provost and Deans and will be addressed by an eminent professional role model. The students are then presented, “cloaked,” with their first white coats symbolizing the mantle of their chosen profession. Students swear a professional oath before the assembled group, publicly acknowledging their new responsibilities and their willingness to assume the obligations of their new profession.
The white coat is a symbolic, non-verbal communication used to express and reaffirm a fundamental belief in a system that society observes. The authority of dress is serious and purposeful, not social, casual or random. The dress of healers of primitive societies was an important part of the paraphernalia of healing. The uniform should imply a purely professional interest. It must convey to even the most anxious a sense of seriousness and purpose that helps provide reassurance and confidence that his/her complaints will be dealt with competently and seriously.
It is a cloak of compassion.
2021 White Coat Ceremony
Friday, August 20, 2021
9 – 11 a.m.
Will Rogers Memorial Center
The 2021 White Coat Ceremony will be livestreamed! Please share the following URL with your friends and family who are unable to attend! UNTHSC 2021 White Coat Ceremony on Livestream
Immediately following the white coat ceremony from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm, students are invited to bring their guests back to campus for a light cupcake reception, which will also include photo opportunities. Students are also welcome to showcase the HSC campus to their guests!
All clinical students (DPT. PA, SCP and TCOM) are required to have a White Coat for the One University White Coat Ceremony.
The deadline to order a white coat has passed.. If you did not order a white coat, extras have been ordered. White Coats will be distributed at each programs New Student Orientation.
Tickets are required for this event.
- Each student can claim up to (4) guest tickets via the marching order website.
- Incoming students do not require a ticket nor do lap children under the age of 2.
- Overflow seating will be available on campus in the MET building for guests to watch the ceremony via livestream.
- Information regarding additional tickets will be provided closer to the ceremony
- Students will have access to their tickets via Marching Orders through the date of the ceremony.
- Each ticket has a unique barcode. Duplicates will be denied at the door. Tickets that are emailed to your guests may go to junk/spam folders, so please remind them to check those.
- Tickets can be presented in paper or electronic format.
- Guest tickets will not be numbered or assigned, but will find their seats on a first-come, first-serve basis when they arrive at Will Rogers.
White Coat Ceremony Downloads
If you need disability accommodations to fully participate in this event, please contact Brandie Wiley, Director of the Office of Disability Access at Brandie.Wiley@unthsc.edu. Please submit requests by July 30th to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation.
White Coat Ceremony Contact
Ashlee Jimenez, MS, CCLS
Assistant Director, Office of Student Development
This page was last modified on July 20, 2021