White Coat Ceremony
With a grant from the Arnold P. Gold Foundation of New York, the University of North Texas Health Science Center began the celebration of a White Coat Ceremony in August of 1996. The White Coat Ceremony is a “rite of passage” for health science center students that encourages a psychological contract for professionalism and empathy. The event emphasizes the importance of the foundational mission of the institution: education, research, patient care and service.
The HSC ceremony takes place at the Will Rogers Memorial Auditorium in front of family, friends and selected faculty. The incoming students are welcomed by the President, Provost and Deans and will be addressed by an eminent professional role model. The students are then presented, “cloaked,” with their first white coats symbolizing the mantle of their chosen profession. Students swear a professional oath before the assembled group, publicly acknowledging their new responsibilities and their willingness to assume the obligations of their new profession.
The white coat is a symbolic, non-verbal communication used to express and reaffirm a fundamental belief in a system that society observes. The authority of dress is serious and purposeful, not social, casual or random. The dress of healers of primitive societies was an important part of the paraphernalia of healing. The uniform should imply a purely professional interest. It must convey to even the most anxious a sense of seriousness and purpose that helps provide reassurance and confidence that his/her complaints will be dealt with competently and seriously.
It is a cloak of compassion.
2022 White Coat Ceremony
Friday, August 19th, 2022
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Will Rogers Memorial Center Auditorium
The 2022 White Coat Ceremony will be livestreamed! Please share the following URL with your friends and family who are unable to attend: HSC 2022 White Coat Ceremony
White Coat Ceremony Downloads
Will Rogers Parking and Entry Information
Parking on campus is free (it will be open parking, with the exception of Lots 1 and 6 – HSC Campus Map). HSC Police Officers will be assisting with traffic control to get students, faculty, staff and guests across Camp Bowie and Lancaster safely. Please use caution when crossing the roads, as this will take place during morning rush hour and lunch time. Be sure to factor in traffic lines and walking time in your morning commute so that you arrive safely and on time.
Parking is available at WRMCA for $10.00 (recommended for elderly or handicapped) – WRMC Parking & Entry Map. Handicap parking is located in the Welcome Center circle drive located on Lancaster Ave. and Amon Carter Square/Will Rogers Rd.
- STUDENTS must arrive no later than 8:30 am and will enter the Tower Rotunda Entrance on the far left of the auditorium.
- GUESTS can arrive starting at 8:00 am and will enter at the main entrances of the auditorium for ticketing.
Students and guests who are using ride share services should be dropped off at the Welcome Center circle drive off of Lancaster Ave. and Amon Carter Square/Will Rogers Rd.
- Tickets are required for this event.
- Students will have access to their claimed tickets via their Marching Orders account through the date of the ceremony.
- Additional tickets are not available.
- Incoming students and children ages 2 and younger DO NOT require a ticket.
- Overflow seating will be available on campus in the MET building in room MET 124/125 for guests who do not have a ticket to watch the ceremony via livestream.
- Each ticket has a unique barcode. Duplicates will be denied at the door. Tickets that are emailed to your guests may go to junk/spam folders, so please remind them to check those.
- Tickets can be presented in paper or electronic format
- Guest tickets will not be numbered or assigned, but will find their seats on a first-come, first-serve basis when they arrive at Will Rogers.
Will Rogers Policy Information
Strollers are allowed inside the building, but guests cannot take them to their seats. Strollers must stay in the lobby – a designated area will be provided.
Prohibited and Allowable Items:
- Food and Drinks are not allowed inside the building – Concessions will not be open
- Balloons, Confetti and Noise makers are not allowed inside the building
- Flowers are allowed – Will Rogers will not have flowers available for purchase
- Good housekeeping and courtesy of WRMC property is expected
Will Rogers ADA/Accessibility Information
Wheelchairs and walkers are allowed inside the building. Will Rogers Memorial Center Auditorium has ADA decks in the auditorium, available for wheel chair seating.
If you need disability accommodations to fully participate in this event, please contact Brandie Wiley, Director of the Office of Disability Access at Brandie.Wiley@unthsc.edu. Please submit requests by August 1st to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation.
White Coat Ceremony Contact
Ashlee Jimenez, MS, CCLS
Assistant Director, Center for Student Life