Biological Safety Home
BioSafety provides expertise and consultation on issues related to biological safety with the goal of maintaining a safe workplace, preventing environmental contamination and complying with applicable federal, state and local requirements.
Maya Nair, PhD, RBP
UNT Health Science Center has adopted this Biosafety Manual in order to establish a uniform safety program for all laboratory activities involving potentially biohazardous materials. The provisions specified in this Biosafety Manual are applicable to all persons working in laboratories including faculty, students, staff, contractors and visitors. This biosafety program applies to all activities involving recombinant and synthetic deoxyribonucleic acid (rDNA and sDNA); genetically modified organisms (animal or plant life) (GMOs), including their release into the environment; potential human, animal or plant pathogens; the use of living organisms (any size or type including GMOs) as control agents for growth, pest control or environmental change; human materials; and the disposal of potentially biohazardous materials.
- Principles of Biosafety Fact Sheet (PDF 56KB)
- General Microbiology Fact Sheet(PDF 3.5MB)
- Zoonotic Fact Sheet(PDF 480KB)
- Principles of Good Microbiological Practice Fact Sheet(PDF 135KB)
- NIH/ Office of Science Policy – NIH Guidelines for research involving rDNA and synthetic Nucleic Acids.
- Animal experiments covered under the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules
- CDC – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Texas Department of State Health Services
- ABSA – American Biological safety Association
- Biological MSDS (Public Health Agency of Canada)
- United States Government Policy for Oversight of Life Sciences Dual Use Research of Concern
- Biosafety / Viral vectors – http://www.drs.illinois.edu/bss/factsheets/viralvectors.aspx
- Lenti viral vectors Containment_Guidance.pdf
- CDC Guidelines for safe Biological practices
- CDC Select Agents and Toxins Program
- Link to other biosafety Resources
- UNTHSC Biosafety Policy
This page was last modified on December 15, 2020