Frequently Asked Questions
Who can request speakers?
Professional, community, and civic organizations; educational associations and schools; service clubs; faith communities; senior centers; and more.
How early should I book a speaker?
The earlier, the better! Our speakers volunteer their time, so we want to honor their other commitments and responsibilities. We require a minimum of four weeks advance notice. Our recommendation is to reach out 8-12 weeks in advance of your event.
Is there a cost to book a speaker?
As a service to the community, the UNTHSC Speakers Bureau provides speakers at no cost. However, if your event is fee-based or one at which you generally have paid speakers, it would be appropriate to make a donation to the UNTHSC Foundation.
How often may groups schedule a UNTHSC speaker?
Each organization may host up to four Speakers Bureau presentations each calendar year. Speakers give of their time and must balance heavy schedules. The Speakers Bureau hopes to reach as many different organizations and individuals as possible, so we must place these limits.
However, if your organization would like to partner with another organization, you may each serve as the primary host for four events and enjoy a total of eight co-hosted events. Partnering organizations must be separate entities and each serve a unique population.
What are the responsibilities of the hosting group?
- Submit a request at least four weeks in advance of the event.
- Respond in a timely manner to all Speakers Bureau communications.
- Provide a formal introduction of the speaker at the event (we will provide a short biography ahead of time).
- Promote the event adequately to ensure good attendance. Begin publicity soon after the speaker is confirmed. Include the UNTHSC logo and name in any publicity.
- If the speaker is using A/V, the host group will need to test equipment ahead of time and have an A/V point person on site the day of the event.
- Provide water for the speaker.
- Complete evaluation form that will be e-mailed to the host group coordinator after the event.
May I speak directly with a speaker during the planning process?
Because most of our speakers have full schedules, the Community Relations team will be the liaison between the speaker and the host group. The Community Relations staff will be the main point of contact during the planning process.
What if I need to cancel or reschedule my event?
Contact the Community Relations office (817-735-2745) or e-mail your Community Relations contact as soon as possible. Conversely, if our speaker needs to cancel for some unforeseen reason, we will be in contact and work with your group to reschedule the event.
This page was last modified on August 14, 2019