Why Use Poll Everywhere?
Poll Everywhere is an audience response technology based on web and cell phone networks, which means that your students or audience can provide feedback regardless of the device they are holding. They can respond by SMS text message, from the web on their phones or laptops, or via Twitter. Polling application that works with mobile devices or computers. Poll Everywhere doesn’t require clickers.
Poll Everywhere may also be incorporated into your PowerPoint and Keynote presentations with the PollEv Presenter Add-in. For installation, you may need to contact someone with administrative privileges. Watch this helpful video for more info.
What’s a Pilot?
A pilot is a program that lets a limited number of participants use a temporarily available tool. After using the tool, participants give feedback via an evaluation. This feedback is used to consider if the tool should be licensed for general use indefinitely. To join the pilot, email email@example.com
How’s Poll Everywhere Used?
Common uses include diagnostic (or pre-) assessment, formative assessment, student-directed teaching, flipped/hybrid classes, online learning, and attendance. See the definition of diagnostic and formative assessment from the National Science Foundation NDSL.
How do I start using Poll Everywhere?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for account information. Read the Poll Everywhere documentation:
- How to set up a poll document
- How to Present Polls from the Web
- How to Present Polls from PowerPoint (Windows)
- How to Present Polls from PowerPoint (Mac)
Finally, create two “test” polls and give them in during your class to see if students know how to answer a poll and ensure you are comfortable using the tool to teach.
Before opening these “test” polls, explain to students you’re experimenting with a new tool that you might use in class again. When you use Poll Everywhere again, just give one “test” poll to make sure the room is ready for you to use the tool.
How Do I Find Help with Poll Everywhere?
Contact Canvas@unthsc.edu and ask for help with Poll Everywhere.
Does Poll Everywhere Integrate with Canvas?
Not in the pilot version. There is a manual workaround for adding a Poll Everywhere link to Canvas and adding a column in your gradebook for a poll: Poll Everywhere in Canvas.
Can I Use Poll Everywhere to Give Quizzes and Other Graded Exercises?
Yes, but Poll Everywhere isn’t recommended for tests, exams, or other substantial assignments or exercises. Also, please remember:
- There’s currently no Poll Everywhere integration for Canvas, so graded polls aren’t synched with the Canvas gradebook, and grades for such polls must be added manually to a manually created gradebook column. See the instructions on this handout.
- You’ll need to use the “Hide Chart” setting to stop students’ from seeing one another’s’ responses.
- You will need to have Poll Everywhere accounts for your students before you have students respond to a graded poll. If you do not do this, PollEverywhere will not be able to tell which students go with which poll results. Email email@example.com for information.
Can I Take Attendance with Poll Everywhere? Yes, but…
- Try this: Take attendance using PollEverywhere
- Polls can be responded to from anywhere with a cell or wi-fi signal, so it’s possible that a student could respond to an attendance poll indicating they’re present when they actually aren’t.
- Instructions for Students on how to register for Poll Everywhere
Is There a Poll Everywhere Mobile App?
Yes, there is an iOS mobile app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/poll-everywhere/id893375312 and an Android mobile app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.polleverywhere.mobile.
Can I Add Poll Everywhere to a Presentation Slide?
The plug-in and extension must be installed in the application (PowerPoint or Keynote) or browser (Chrome) on the computer you’re using. Classroom computers won’t have these features installed, and you might not have permission to install them, so we recommend installing them on your laptop, bringing it to class, and then connecting it to the projector instead of using the classroom computer if you want to use Poll Everywhere in a presentation.
- How to Register for Live Poling in Class
- Remember to login using your UNTHSC email address
- How to Respond to Polls from a Smartphone
- How to leverage Poll Everywhere to keep your learners awake from Productive Physician
*adapted from information provided by Poll Everywhere, Southern Illinois State University and PennLibraries.