Guest facilitator Heidi Ash from UNT CLEAR (Center for Learning Enhancement and Redesign) presented a process-based approach to improving online course design for seamless development of an online course that aligns with quality standards and principles of good practice for online learning. Participants were exposed to a course improvement plan based on the Quality Matters QM Rubric.
The Goal of the session: To gain a better understanding of the underlying principles and basic techniques of course design and redesign, with emphasis on how they relate to online courses.
Upon completion of this workshop, attendees will be able to
- discuss different course design techniques and the principles and standards of Quality Matters,
- create a Start Here area for their course,
- write a personalized Welcome Announcement,
- communicate the basic organizational elements for how their course will work,
- clearly state the grading criteria used within their course,
- define and discuss alignment,
- write clear, measurable, and appropriate learning objectives, and
- demonstrate alignment between materials, assessments, activities, and technologies within their course design.