Collaborative Programs with FWISD & AISD have reached over 7,531 participants, 83% are from URM groups and 62% are female.
UNTHSC Expands its Outreach to the Arlington Independent School District (AISD) – Coaching Up Program
The Arlington Independent School District’s (AISD) and UNT Health Science Center’s (UNTHSC) Initiative to increase diversity in STEM higher education. The University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC) has a history of educating a diverse constituency of biomedical and behavioral scientists and health care professionals. In 2015, UNTHSC and AISD established a partnership outlining a mutual interest in supporting AISD high school student’s motivation and development directed towards Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) career paths. The “Coaching Up” Mentoring Program serves as the platform to achieve the long-term goal of increasing the number and diversity of students who graduate from high school and pursue a degree in the biomedical, behavioral, medical and health, and allied health professions. Through its work in the Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate Equity and Excellence Project, AISD found that only 30 percent of all 11th and 12th-grade low-income students and students of color participated in AP and IB programs. By providing mentorship and scientific enrichment, this partnership seeks to address the gap in low-income students and students of color succeeding in AP/IB courses.
- Stimulate and broaden student’s awareness of biomedical and health professional career paths by exposing AISD students to clinical and laboratory research environments at UNTHSC.
- Create a sustainable network that increases a student’s persistence by providing a mentoring program with UNTHSC students.
- Increased enrollment of students in AP STEM courses.
- Increased performance among students in AP STEM courses.
- Increased retention of students in AP STEM courses.
- Increased number of students entering and earning college degrees in STEM.
YEAR ONE – FRESHMEN
• Career Panel • UNTHSC Exposé
YEAR TWO – SOPHOMORES
• UNTHSC Lab Demos • Role Model Seminar
YEAR THREE – JUNIORS
• UNTHSC Lab Demos • Coaching Workshop • Career Development Workshop
YEAR FOUR – SENIORS
• Coaching Workshop • Career Development Workshop • Research Appreciation Day
Contact Heather Longtin or Pat Baker for more information and if you are interested in being involved in Coaching Up! email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Crowley Independent School District After School Program
This page was last modified on December 5, 2019