Published: August 5, 2015
A new Advisory Council will begin working with the UNTHSC School of Public Health this fall, to help shape the structure and direction of the school’s Master of Public Health and Doctor of Public Health programs.
The Council is comprised of alumni and other professionals who are leaders in public health, health care, business and community, with a commitment to the education and preparedness of the next generation of public health leaders.
This new group is modeled after the successful MHA Advisory Council for the SPH Master of Health Administration program and will meet two to three times each year.
“We are pleased to welcome these new members, their guidance, experience, ideas and energy,” said Dean Richard S. Kurz, PhD. “The addition of this new Council is a great benefit for both the SPH and our students.”
New Council members are:
- (Advisory Council Chair) Matt Richardson, MPH, DrPH, Director, Denton County Health Department
- Allen Applegate, Lieutenant, United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, Quarantine Public Health Officer, CDC San Francisco
- Elizabeth Sobel Blum, Senior Community Development Research Associate, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
- James Dickens, Office of Minority Health, Health and Human Services (HHS), Region 6, Dallas
- Greg Eastin, Strategic Planning, Parkland Health System
- Susan Garnett, President and CEO, Mental Health and Mental Retardation of Tarrant County
- Angela Girgenti, Office of Women’s Health, HHS, Region 6, Dallas
- Anita Kurian, MMBS, DrPH, Associate Director, Tarrant County Public Health
- Shirley Little, MA, CEO, The Martin Group
- Aisling McGuckin, RN, MSN, MPH, Director of Program Services, March of Dimes Foundation, Dallas
- Camille Miller, MSS, President and CEO, Texas Health Institute, Austin
- Patrick Moonan, DrPH, Epidemiologist, CDC Surveillance, Epidemiology and Outbreak Investigation Branch – Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, Atlanta
- Tricia Nguyen, MD, Executive Vice President, Population Health, Education and Innovation Center, Texas Health Resources
- Tony Shuman, President & CEO, YMCA of Metropolitan Fort Worth
- Don Smith, Vice President for Community Development, United Way of Tarrant County/Director, Area Agency on Aging
- Verrinder (Vinny) Taneja, MBBS, MPH, Director, Tarrant County Public Health
- Patsy Thomas, President, Mental Health Connection
- Larry Tubb, Senior Vice President, System Planning, Cook Children’s Medical Center
- Libby Watson, Strategic Collaboration, LLC
- Stephen Williams, MPA, MEd, Director, Houston Department of Health and Human Services
- James Zoretic, MD, MPH, Assistant Commissioner for Regional and Local Health Services, Region 2/3, Texas Department of State Health Services
The Council’s first meeting will be held August 26.