5th Annual Health Disparities Conference, May 27-28
On May 27-28, the Health Science Center will sponsor the 5th annual Texas Conference on Health Disparities in the brand new Medical Education and Training building. The Health Disparity Conference focuses on women’s cancer, HIV, CVD and obesity, with a special emphasis on community programs. Check-in begins at 9 a.m. at the new Medical Education and Training Building on the Health Science Center campus. A vendor fair will be part of the conference this year.
The conference features several nationally known speakers, including keynote speaker Katrina Armstrong, MD, from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Armstrong will speak about "Location, Location, Location: Unraveling Cancer Disparities in the U.S." Panel discussions and additional presentations will continue through Friday afternoon.
The conference focuses on
- Increasing awareness and understanding of disparities in women’s health
- Showcasing best-practice models in research and outreach that are targeting women’s health disparities between the racial and ethnic minorities.
- Highlighting cancer, HIV, CVD and obesity disparities among women.
- Communicating the significance of community network programs to reduce and eliminate disparities.
- Establishing a dialogue and partnerships to address health disparities.