Here are some answers to commonly asked questions that may help you in your decision regarding a donation to our Willed Body Program.

How can I donate my body to help medical sciences?

You may request an information packet mailed to your home or you may complete the forms online.

Do I get proof of my donation?

Once we receive your donor form, we will send you an acknowledgment letter with a donor card with your member ID number that you can carry in your wallet.

Is there any cost to my family for donating my body?

There is no cost to your family for donation. However, there will be a fee to obtain certified copies of the death certificates through the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the city or county where the death occurred.

Will I or my family receive payment for agreeing to my donation?

No. Paying an individual or an estate for a donation is against the law.

How should my family notify you upon my death?

A family member, friend or a member of the medical staff should call us at 817-304-3763 to notify us of your passing. Our staff will make all arrangements to bring you into our care.

Who should I tell of my intent to donate?

Your next of kin or the executor of your estate should be notified of the arrangements and have access to all information about your bequest. A friend or a relative living close to you should be notified if there is no next of kin. We also advise you to notify your physician, clergy and attorney of the arrangements.

What should I do if I change my mind?

If you change your mind, all you need to do is contact our office at 817-735-2043 to make our staff aware of your decision.

What happens to the donation when studies have been completed?

State law requires us to cremate all donations.

What happens to the remains after they are cremated?

Our institution allows you to chose whether you want your cremains returned to your family or if you would like for UNT Health Science Center to handle the final disposition of your ashes.

If I register with an organ bank, can I still donate my body?

Yes, we encourage organ donation whenever possible and we will coordinate the process with the organ procurement staff.

What if I should die out of town?

There are two alternatives:
1. Your family may choose to forward your body to the Health Science Center at your estate’s expense.
2. Your family may donate your body to a medical school located in the state in which death occurred.

What if my family is not around when I die?

As long as your donor card is with you, there should be no problem. If not, the, authorities will have to contact your next of kin or another family member. Be sure that your family members know of your request and that they have access to all information pertaining to your bequest with the Willed Body Program.

Could a bequest be made as an amendment to a will?

Yes. Consult an attorney for details. However, we must receive the bequest form before accepting your donation.

What conditions might make my donation unacceptable?

If a donor has active tuberculosis, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or severe decomposition we reserve the right to decline the donation, as these can be harmful to our staff and students or inhibit research.

Can you determine the cause of death after your studies?

Studies to determine the cause of death would not be conclusive and are not performed.

Can I donate someone else's body- like my wife's or my husband's?

Third-party donation forms for families of individuals who cannot sign for themselves or who pass away before signing a donation form are available through our Serenity Program.

For more information, call or write to:

The Willed Body Program
Center for Anatomical Sciences
UNT Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, Texas  76107