Summer Opportunities in Anatomy Research
May 10 – July 14, 2023
Center for Anatomical Sciences
University of North Texas Health Science Center
Fort Worth, Texas
The application deadline was 11:59 pm (CDT) on March 1, 2023
The SOAR (Summer Opportunities in Anatomy Research) program at the University of North Texas Health Science Center provides undergraduate students the opportunity to gain research, education, and outreach experience in the anatomical sciences.
Read the AAA Innovations Grant Report for SOAR
Read the AAA Innovations Project Update for SOAR
Read the Proceedings of SOAR 2021 (conference abstracts)
As a SOAR student, you will:
- Complete a 10-week research internship with a faculty mentor.
- Receive a stipend of approximately $4,000.
- Develop and present a research poster.
- Explore graduate training opportunities and careers in the anatomical sciences.
- Develop scientific communication skills.
- Engage in science outreach activities.
Current SOAR research mentors
- Rachel Menegaz, PhD: Craniofacial biomechanics and functional morphology; impacts of weaning and diet on growth, function, and evolution of masticatory tissues; musculoskeletal health; brittle bone disease.
- Scott Maddux, PhD: Biological anthropology; human evolution and variation; craniofacial and respiratory anatomy; thermoregulation and climatic adaptation.
- Libby Cowgill, PhD: Biological anthropology; human evolution and variation; postcranial biomechanics; growth and development; thermoregulation and climatic adaptation.
- Cara Ocobock, PhD: Human biology; physiological anthropology; exercise, energetics and metabolism; thermoregulation and climatic adaptation.
Note: Drs. Libby Cowgill (U. Missouri) and Cara Ocobock (U. Notre Dame) will be in residence at UNTHSC during Summer 2023.
Travel and Housing
- Travel to UNTHSC and housing near campus are provided free of charge for SOAR interns.
- Undergraduate enrollment in Fall 2023 (junior or senior preferred).
- 18+ years old.
- 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA preferred.
- US citizenship or permanent residency.
- Intention of pursuing a research-based graduate degree (traditional MS/PhD, or dual clinical/research degree such as DO/PhD, MD/PhD, DPT/PhD, etc.) and future career in the anatomical sciences (anatomy, biology, anthropology, paleontology, etc.).
- Students looking to attend professional school programs (e.g. DO, MD, DDS, PA, PT, RN) are encouraged to apply for other summer internship opportunities at UNTHSC.
- Students from underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
- Applications must be submitted through the SOAR Online Application Portal. You can preview the application HERE.
- For more information about the SOAR program, please email the SOAR program director, Dr. Rachel Menegaz, at SOAR@unthsc.edu.
- For information about other undergraduate internship opportunities at UNTHSC, see the Undergraduate Summer Research Internships run by the Center for Diversity and International Programs.
|The 2022-2023 SOAR programs are funded by the National Science Foundation (REU – Research Experiences for Undergraduates Program)||
The 2019-2021 SOAR programs were funded by the American Association for Anatomy Innovations Program.