Participants Eligibility Requirements:
- Hold a bachelor s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Have minimum 2.5 GPA on his/her last 60 undergraduate semester hours.
- Required to take the GRE (no minimum score)
- Major in the life sciences (biology, biochemistry, chemistry, biotechnology, etc.)
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident
- Intention of pursuing a Ph.D.
- Research Experience
- $21,000 research assistant stipend
- GRE Prep course
- Study strategies assistance and tutoring
- Library and electronic research techniques
- Faculty mentors
- Research presentation skills
- Information and strategies for financial support in graduate school
- Choosing a graduate school
Our Prep Program will provide core requirements for all first-year trainees, but additional activities will be added to address individual deficiencies/strengths. PREP Program Core Requirements are as follows:
- Enrollment as a research associate for at least 30 hours/week
- Weekly attendance (Fall & Spring Semesters) in either a research work-in-progress seminar or discipline specific journal club.
- Weekly attendance (Fall & Spring semesters) in an invited speaker research seminar or Grand Rounds.
- Enrollment in a biomedical ethics course
- Attendance at the health disparities and role model seminars
- Completion of a GRE preparation workshop in the first summer.
- Write a paper based on the intern’s research results; and develop a computer-assisted oral presentation and a research poster to be presented at the end of the summer program
Housing is not included in the program. Visit http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/default.cfm for available housing near the campus.
Click here to download the application
When you submit your application we will need the following items to complete your file:
- Submit two letters of recommendation from your undergraduate school mentors, addressing the potential of your graduate studies and expressing how a PREP program might benefit you.
- A copy of your Official undergraduate transcript(s)
Send application materials, refer any questions regarding the program, application or deadlines to:
Administrative Services Officer
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
University of North Texas Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd, EAD 860
Fort Worth, Texas 76107