Laboratory Approval Process for Animal Use
If you have a new laboratory space, and plan to use animals in it, please follow this process to have the laboratory approved for animal use.
Step 1: Request Form
The Laboratory Approval Request Form allows us to receive preliminary information for the use of the laboratory and the species involved. This will help us tailor the inspection for your specific laboratory needs.
Step 2: Inspection
All laboratories will need to be inspected for animal use before animals can be taken into the laboratory space. Inspections are then performed semi-annually in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act and PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- Ensure that all personnel entering the laboratory are enrolled in the Occupational Health and Safety Program.
- Ensure that all procedures performed on animals are approved on your animal care and use protocol.
- Laboratory Approval Check List
- Laboratory Postings:
Step 3: Amendment
Once you receive laboratory approval from the inspection, if the laboratory is not listed on your protocol, please complete an amendment to add the room location to your protocol. You will use the GRAMS system to complete the amendment process.
Visit the IACUC SOPs page for further information on IACUC procedures for animal use in laboratory space:
- IACUC SOP 024: Laboratory Approval for Animal Use (including housing of animals for greater than 12 hours or overnight)
- IACUC SOP 022: Animal Transport
- IACUC SOP 050: Standards for Sanitization of Animal Use Laboratories
- IACUC SOP 049: Use of Gas Anesthesia Vaporizers and Scavenging Systems
- IACUC SOP 034: Rodent Surgery
- IACUC SOP 027: Occupational Health Program
- IACUC SOP 017: Sharps Disposal