AHSE: Communicating Inclusively about Disability and Accessibility
Speaker: Brandie Wiley, Director, Office of Disability Access
Time: 12-1 pm, Friday, Nov 11th (Lunch starts at 11:45 am)
RSVP: Due by 1 pm, Wednesday, Nov 9th
- Differentiate between appropriate and inappropriate communication with students receiving accommodations
- Identify when to use people-first vs identity-first language.
- Categorize disability-related terms as appropriate or inappropriate to use
- Provide examples of appropriate etiquette when communicating with students with disabilities
- Explain the danger and harm done by excessive focus on how “inspirational” a person is and excessive public praise
The email confirmation for the event will contain the option to add the event to your calendar.Zoom Link: Passcode-AHSE22: https://unthsc.zoom.us/j/89388184003?pwd=a2dKdnE0SjJjSGw2KzQvRU9TZzNHdz09
The AHSE November 11, 2022 ticket sales has ended!