Internal Submission Deadline: Saturday December 31, 2022.
Funding Organization’s Deadline: Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Internal Application link: https://unthsc.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1877004
Discipline/Subject Area: Clinicians and scientists in vision research and ophthalmology
Number of Possible Awardees: 1
Limited submission opportunities are those for which the agencies restrict the number of proposals or nominations a university may submit for consideration for an award. Extra submissions can result in rejection of all submitted by the institution. Therefore, all eligible and interested nominees must be internally screened to determine which will represent the university in the agency’s competition. This application is for the nomination from our institution.
Senior Alcon Research Institute Grant Eligibility and Guidelines: Open to all members of the vision science community who are actively involved in independent research efforts (e.g. academics, engineers, clinician scientists, etc.). Members of the Alcon Research Institute Scientific Selection Committee and Alcon Research Institute Executive Committee are not eligible to apply. In addition:
• Only one application allowed from an individual each year.
• No limit to the number of applications that can come from a single institution (different from the Young Investigator process, which only allows two applications from any given institution).
• The maximum grant amount is $250,000.
• Research funds will be paid in one lump sum payment that can be carried forward on a yearly basis as no-cost extensions for a total of up to 3 years from the date of selection.
• A maximum of no more than 20% can be taken from the grant by the institution for Indirect Costs.
• The application does not require previous research or supporting data, but the applicant is welcome to submit any supporting materials. Along with the application, applicants should submit an up-to-date NIH-style bio-sketch, a detailed CV, an up-to-date photo, a full publication list, and a reference letter or two attesting to the accomplishments of the applicant and describing how the applicant is qualified to complete the proposed studies.
• The Title/Rank/Level of the individual applying for a Sr. ARI Grant should be at least Associate Professor or Equivalent.
For each competition, principal investigators are required to submit a limited submission pre-proposal by the internal deadline specified in the announcement. The pre-proposal should address the sponsoring agency’s priorities as outlined in the announcement.
The pre-proposal should be no more than 3 pages in length in 11-point font with 0.5” margins and must contain the following information:
• Proposal title
• Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigator(s), Department and College
• Proposed start date and duration of the project
• Estimated (total) budget for the entire performance period
• Summary of the project (main body of the document)
The limited submission committee will convene to review the pre-proposals following review guidelines. The committee will provide a recommendation to the Vice President of Research who makes the final decision regarding the internal competition.