Wellness Warriors – Physical Fitness
Wellness Warriors is a comprehensive program that engages our campus community in making individual wellness a priority. Physical activity and nutrition play a valuable role in individual wellness and Wellness Warriors seeks to engage those pieces with you.
The objectives of Wellness Warriors are:
- Increase comfort with physical activities using group exercise;
- Create an environment to allow for change in static behaviors to occur;
- Facilitate a re-frame of mindset, perspectives, and self-perception.
What to expect from us:
- One on one with a dietitian – 1 hour face to face consult with a licensed dietitian with follow up email capabilities
- 3 training sessions per week of group class with your Wellness Warrior peers
- Individual wellness coaching by Office of Wellness Services (OWS) staff
- Accountability with your cohort and OWS staff
What we expect from you:
- Mandatory attendance – 1-hour training sessions at 4pm on Tue/Wed/Fri
- Weekend “homework”
- Nutritional accountability – motivation to make efforts to move towards healthier nutritional choices
- 12-week commitment – February 4th – April 26th
Were there any changes made from the Spring 2018 cohort to the Spring 2019 cohort?
- Yes. Before, group class was held in established group exercise classes offered by the FAC. The Wellness Warrior (WW) classes will be available to WW members.
How many people are going to be in each cohort?
- We are admitting 10 people per cohort.
If I get accepted, what all do I need?
- Workout clothes, good pair of running/training shoes, FAC membership, good attitude and strong mental preparation
What kind of workouts will we do?
- We will provide a variety of aerobic and anaerobic training to engage the needed stress for the recovery and adaptation process to forge. Throughout the 12 weeks, you will become comfortable in all the major barbell movements, aerobic exercises, creating your own programming dependent on goals, and nutritional guidance to support your efforts.
If I did Team Lose It in the past, can I participate in Wellness Warriors?
- Yes. However, if you are able to create an environment around yourself to foster success without the support of a cohort model, we encourage you to join the existing group exercise classes offered at the FAC.
I want to do Wellness Warriors but the 4pm time block doesn’t fit my schedule. Can I still participate?
- For the past few cohorts, we have been flexible on allowing people to come to various times offered throughout the day. We have found this system isn’t the most advantageous when it comes to accountability, a big component of success for Wellness Warriors. We are considering opening up different time blocks for the future, but for the Spring 19′ cohort, 4 PM is a universal fit for most offices within our campus community. If 4 PM is not an ideal time, we still encourage you to consider personal training or joining existing group class offered through the FAC. Click HERE to learn more about these options.
Applications are now being accepted for the Spring 2019 cohort. The application for Wellness Warriors can be found HERE and must be submitted by Wednesday, January 30th, at 3:00pm. Notification of acceptance will be announced no later than Friday, February 1st.
If you have questions about the Wellness Warriors program, please contact Chris Klein at Christopher.Klein@unthsc.edu.
This page was last modified on January 16, 2019