The Prevalence of Sexual Assault
- 44% of victims are under the age of 18
- 80% of victims are under the age of 30
- 15% of victims are under the age of 12
- In 2003, 90% of rape victims were women
- 60% of sexual assaults go unreported
- 3% of rapists serve time in prison
- 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim
- 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger
The Prevalence of Stalking
- 4 million people over the age of 18 are stalked each year in the United States.
- 3 in 4 stalking victims are stalked by someone they know.
- 30% of stalking victims are stalked by a current or former intimate partner.
The Prevalence of Dating and Domestic Violence
- More than 1 in 3 women (35.6%) and more than 1 in 4 men (28.5%) in the United States have experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- 1 in 4 women (24.3%) and 1 in 7 men (13.8%) ages 18 and older in the United States have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- Nearly half of all women and men in the United States have experienced psychological aggression by an intimate partner in their lifetime (48.4% and 48.8%, respectively).