Tips from the AAMC Careers in Medicine Conference, 2013
Strategy depends on WHY a student is at risk of not matching. Below are the most common reasons why students DO NOT match into residency programs:
Competitiveness issues include academic / professionalism problems — COMLEX / USMLE scores, lack of research, and / or pursuing a more competitive specialty, i.e. Anesthesia, Dermatology, Orthopedic Surgery, etc.
- Apply to more programs (you will be advised during residency counseling about how many programs you should apply to — please pay close attention to the advice you’re given!)
- Apply to a back-up specialty or ‘Plan B’ specialty.
- Craft a well-written personal statement — make sure you have it reviewed prior to submitting! Jessica Chavez, MiM is available to assist you. Please email her for assistance. *Please allow 3-5 working days for review.
- Enhance your credentials, ex. take COMLEX 2 / USMLE 2 early, if possible.
- Participate in research prior to year four.
- Continue to do well in fourth year…on ALL rotations!
- Schedule away electives that will help you reach your goal.
Attitudinal/interpersonal issues: poor interviewing skills, ambivalent about medicine or specialty (this includes applying for two different specialties at the same location!)
- Attend the Residency Interviewing Skills Workshop with Dr. David A. Stone (July / August of year four.)
- Schedule a 1:1 coaching session with Dr. Stone PRIOR to your residency interviews.
- Take electives to better define your specialty choice and decide what’s best for you.
- Apply to more than one specialty — but apply (preferably) at different hospitals / universities.
- Do electives and / or research in your targeted area for more hands-on experience.
Failure to Obtain PGY-1 Position…What Are the Top Reasons?
- COMLEX / USMLE scores
- Not competitive for first choice specialty (this will be discussed during individual residency counseling)
- Did not rank enough programs
- Poor interviewing and / or interpersonal skills
- Overly aggressive rank order list (list limited to more competitive specialties or more competitive programs…in other words…unrealistic expectations!)
- Unrealistic choice of specialty / unrealistic ambitions despite residency counseling!