Years 3 and 4 Curriculum Requirements
The requirements below are intended ONLY for students enrolled in the ROME Rural Scholars Program. These requirements differ from the general population of TCOM students.
NOTE TO RURAL SCHOLARS STUDENTS:
Contact Ann Smith (Annette.Smith@unthsc.edu) for advisement on all year 3 & 4 clinical rotation scheduling-
this makes it possible to tailor your schedule to your specific needs.
Clinical Rotations/Electives – Year 3
The Year 3 core clinical clerkships for the Rural Scholars Program are designed to provide focused training which will prepare the student for the practice of medicine in a rural setting. Students will be expected to spend their 3rd year outside the DFW Metroplex at designated rural-based training sites. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Program Director.
NOTE: The distribution, and sequencing of Year 3 clerkships are subject to change.
- 12 weeks – Family Medicine/Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
- 8 weeks – Internal Medicine (Ambulatory and Hospital)
- 6 weeks – General Surgery
- 2 weeks – Patient Safety
- 4 weeks – Pediatrics (Ambulatory and Hospital)
- 4 weeks – Obstetrics/Gynecology
- 4 weeks – Psychiatry
- 8 weeks – Electives (2)
Rural Family Medicine/OMM Clerkship:
A required twelve (12) week Year 3 core clerkship in Family Medicine and OMM that focuses on cognitive and behavioral skill building as well as procedural competency. This clerkship includes an intensive didactic and hands-on review of OMM. Students will incorporate OMT into the management of patients they see under supervision at their rural continuity site. All required elements of the 1 month OMM core Clerkship are integrated over the entire 12 weeks.
Clinical Rotations/Electives – Year 4
- Emergency Medicine 4 weeks
- Electives (7) 28 weeks
- Optional months (2) 8 weeks
- ROME students have the same flexibility and autonomy in planning year 4 as all TCOM OMS IV
- Rural sites are available for emergency medicine and for electives
- ROME faculty will assist in identifying rural sites if requested