ACGME Status: No ACGME accreditation is available for the specialty of Performing Arts Medicine at the time of website publication
The Performing Arts Medicine (PAM) Fellowship at UNTHSC is a formal training program for a period of one year with the intention of providing advanced and concentrated teaching in the principles and related practice of performing arts medicine with supervision by specialists in the field. Although not accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), this fellowship program conforms to the requirements of an ACGME fellowship. This program is intended to provide education of the highest quality through progressive learning experiences that develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge of a physician necessary to efficiently provide quality care. A basic foundation of academic, research, and clinical experience is included, integrating the basic medical sciences and performing arts medicine concepts with clinical manifestations of health and disease.
The Performing Arts Medicine (PAM) Fellowship is available for qualified applicants who have completed training in an AOA or ACGME-accredited residency program.
Fellows participating in this training program shall seek to achieve the following objectives:
- Manage clinical problems based on the knowledge of basic and clinical sciences.
- Use critical thinking in making effective decisions for patient management.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the psychomotor skills required of a competent practitioner.
- Collaborate effectively and share knowledge with colleagues and allied healthcare professionals.
- Make sound, ethical and legal judgments in the practice of performing arts medicine.
- Provide cost-effective care to all patients.
- Educate patients and their families concerning health care needs.
- Participate in opportunities for continuing education to promote personal and professional growth.
- Read, interpret and participate in clinical research.
- Participate in community and professional organizations.
- Incorporate performing arts medicine principles into the combined medical practices of a primary specialty.
Candidates for the PAM fellowship shall be required to meet the following qualifications by the start of their fellowship:
- Be a graduate of a college of osteopathic medicine accredited by the AOA or a college of medicine accredited by LCME.
- Passed COMLEX Levels 1, 2 CE and PE, and 3 on the first attempt, or USMLE Step 1, 2, and 3 on the first attempt. Exceptions to this rule may be considered on a case by case basis.
- Obtain a full license to practice medicine in the State of Texas.
- Post-graduate clinical education required for initial entry must have been completed in AOA or ACGME-accredited residency programs, or in Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)-accredited or College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)-accredited residencies located in Canada.
- Although not strictly required, proficiency in osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) or similar manual medicine modality is strongly preferred.
Qualified applicants must submit their application to the Program Director via the Academic Coordinator. The deadline for receipt of completed applications shall be established year-to-year at the discretion of the institution. Applications shall be considered complete when the following documents have been received by the medical education office:
- Official transcripts
- Board scores
- Personal statement
- Residency training documentation
Applicants will be invited for a site visit and interview only if meeting all qualifications.
Performing Arts Medicine Fellowship Application PDF
Please send the application form and all supplemental documentation directly to the program coordinator, Linda Matthews via email.
- Sample Curriculum
- Salary/Benefits- Fellows are hired by UNTHSC as a staff physician for a term of 1 year. The salary is based off a standard resident’s salary for PGY-4 or 5 depending on years in training, which is determined annually by the GMEC. Fellows are eligible for full benefits as outlined here.