- May utilize rotations of your choice
- May do an elective with ANY board certified or board eligible D.O. or M.D.
- Rotations are 4 weeks in length (No split rotations)
Things to Keep in a Folder for Away Rotations:
- Background check
- HIPAA certification
- ACLS and BLS cards
- Board scores
- Official transcripts
- Personal insurance and Malpractice insurance verification
- Immunization records, include yearly TB skin test and blood test/titers
- Passport sized photos
- Also keep blank clerkship evaluations and application forms for elective rotations.
How to Find an “Away” Elective
- Personal and professional contacts
- The Office of Clinical Education – rotation sites/preceptors listed by discipline
- Other students (The Office of Clinical Education has site evaluations from past elective rotations.)
- Do-online Opportunities has information about osteopathic residency programs: http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/index.htm
- Fellowship and Residency Electronic and Interactive Database (FREIDA) has information about allopathic residency programs: https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do
- Popular Rotation Sites in Texas
- The Extramural Electives Compendium (EEC) is an electronic document published by the AAMC Section for Student Affairs and Programs. The EEC contains information for medical students in a searchable database format about the scheduling of elective opportunities at AAMC-member US medical schools: http://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/electives/start.htm
Applying for an “away” elective
Clerkship Forms, Certificate of Coverage and Evaluation Forms are available on this website under Forms and our office.
Generic letter of good standing includes:
- BLS/ACLS Certified
- Statement of good standing
- Statement that an evaluation is required
- Liability limits and provider
- Statement that core rotations are completed
- HIPAA statement
- OSHA statement (blood-borne pathogens and tuberculosis workshop)
- Statement concerning the background checks
- Anticipated date of graduation
Other documents that you may need, but must be provided from other departments include letters of recommendation (Student Affairs), transcripts (Registrar), and immunization records (Student Health).
It is imperative that you follow the deadlines published. Be sure you build in time to get things from other offices. You may have to wait for official transcripts, immunization records, or letters of recommendation.
If you decide to cancel a requested rotation, we must receive notification (preferably via email to email@example.com) no less than one month prior to the start of the requested period.
This page was last modified on July 19, 2017