Excellence in education is a central focus of the UNT Health Science Center’s mission to “Create solutions for a healthier community.” To ensure educational excellence, each UNTHSC school evaluates success with respect to student achievement in accordance with the educational and professional standards of the given discipline. Factors considered by the schools include degree completion, performance on professional licensing examinations, and placement following graduation in related residencies or jobs. The specific parameters tracked by each school are outlined below.
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- MS or PhD in Biomedical Sciences
- Specialized MS Degree Programs
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Health Administration
- PhD in Public Health Sciences
- College of Pharmacy
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
COMLEX Pass Rates
Six-year graduation rates for TCOM over the past five years ranged from 92% – 97% with the average graduation rate of 95%.
Residency Match Rates
Residency match rates for TCOM over the past five years ranges from 99% -100% with the average residency match rate of 99%.
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Traditional M.S. and Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences Program Achievements, 2020-2021
- Enrollment: The GSBS matriculated 18 Ph.D. students and 6 traditional MS students in Fall 2020.
- Time to complete the PhD program: The national average for completion of the PhD degree in a research-based discipline is 5.8 years. The average time to degree for GSBS doctoral students graduating in the last three years (FY 2019-21) is 5.0 years. Average time to degree for PhD graduates in 2020-2021 was 5.15 years.
- Time to complete the MS program: The national average for completion of the MS degree in biomedical sciences is ~ 2 years. The average time to degree for traditional GSBS MS students graduating in the last three years (FY 2019-21) is 2.87 years. Average time to degree for MS graduates in 2020-2021 was 1.9 years.
- Attrition: The national average for the percentage of individuals who begin PhD programs that obtain the PhD degree is 56.6%. Our goal is to have annual attrition rates below 10%. For 2020-21, the PhD program had an academic attrition rate of zero percent and an attrition rate for other reasons (personal, health) of zero percent. The Traditional MS program had an academic attrition rate of 17% (1 of 6) and an attrition rate of 34% (2 of 6) for other reasons (personal, health) in 2020-21.
- Placement/Employment in a science-related position: Data indicate that 100% of PhD students graduating in the past 3 years (FY 2019-21) found employment in a science-related position within 6 months of completion. One hundred percent of traditional MS students in the same time period found scientific employment or entered another academic program within 6 months of graduation.
Specialized Master of Science Degree Program Achievements, 2020-2021
- Enrollment: For 2020-21, enrollment included 296 specialized MS students.
- Attrition: Student attrition was 6% for Medical Sciences Program, 5% Medical Science Research Track, and 5% for the Clinical Research Management Program.
- Time to Degree: The average time to complete the Medical Science program is 1 year. The Medical Science Research Track extends the program by 1 year for an average of 2 years. The average time to degree for the Clinical Research Management program is 1.5 years.
- Graduation Rates: For the 2020-21 academic year, 90% of Medical Science students graduated; 95% of Medical Science Research Track students graduated; and 95% of Clinical Research Management students graduated.
- Placement/Employment in a science-related position: Of the Medial Sciences graduates who self-reported their professional school application information in April of 2021, 47% of the classroom-based cohort were accepted into professional schools in 2021. This number typically increases between May and July as waitlisted applicants are made offers. Of the students in the online cohort that self-reported that they applied to professional schools in 2020, 26% were accepted into professional schools. It is important to note that this data only includes students that responded to our survey. It is important to note that student graduation survey may not accurately capture the success rate of our students, especially in the classroom-based cohort since their survey is due when many medical and dental schools are still making acceptance offers. Also, only 52% in both cohorts applied to professional school while they were enrolled in the program. Therefore, of the remaining 48% of students, we do not know how many of them will get offers when the apply during the next application cycle and after they have graduated from the program.
Data indicate that 100% of graduates in the Clinical Research Management and 94% Medical Science Research Track were successfully employed or enrolled in professional or graduate school for additional degree within 6 months of graduation from the program.
School of Health Professions
See Characteristics of Texas Public Doctoral Programs
Master of Physician Assistant Program Achievements
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge needed for Physician Assistant practice by achieving acceptable mean scores on the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) first attempt
- Benchmark 1: UNTHSC mean scores for first-time test takers on the PANCE content areas will be at or above the national mean.
- Benchmark 2: UNTHSC pass rates for first-time takers on the PANCE will exceed the national mean.
- The program will demonstrate commitment to preparing physician assistants for practice by achieving a graduation rate higher than the national average.
- Benchmark 1: UNTHSC student graduation rate higher than the national average.
- Benchmark 2: UNTHSC student attrition rate lower than the national average.
- Graduates will report working in at least one Physician Assistant position one-year post-graduation.
- Benchmark 1: >90% of UNTHSC graduates will be employed in at least one PA position one-year post-graduation
- Benchmark 2: > 55% of UNTHSC graduates will be employed in at least one primary care or underserved PA position one-year post-graduation.
- National Certificate Pass Rates: The ultimate pass rate for the HSC Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) in the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) is 100% from 2018 through 2021. DPT graduates have had a 100% overall pass rate since 2014. The first-time pass rate for the NPTE for the 2021 graduates is 95%. For 2021, the first-time NPTE pass rate for all US-accredited candidates is 90.5%. The first-time pass rates for HSC DPT were 100 % 91.3% and 88.9% for 2020 and 2019, respectively. The national first-time pass rate was 91.2 and 90.5% for all US-accredited candidates 2020 and 2019, respectively. DPT graduates exceed the NPTE first-time and ultimate pass rates for all US-accredited candidates.
- Job Placement: From those eligible and choosing to be employed, 100% of the DPT graduates from 2018 through 2019 are employed as physical therapists within six months of graduation. During the pandemic year, 97% of the 2020 graduates reported employment within six months of graduation. Data for the 2021 graduates are pending.
- Employer Surveys: 100% of employers surveyed for the DPT 2018 and 2019 graduates indicated competencies at entry-level and beyond in ethical and professional behaviors. 100% of employers rated at or above entry-level for all graduate outcomes of the DPT program. Data for 2020 and 2021 are pending. While updates were completed for the 2020 Employer Survey, the survey was not deployed during the pandemic year. Plans are to gather employer data simultaneously for the 2020 and 2021 graduates, with a planned survey by the end of 2021. Metrics for professionalism and competency for DPT graduates are currently utilized and provide data in these areas during the clinical year and at graduation. (Clinical assessment tools: PT MACs, Clinical Internship Evaluation Tool/CIET).
School of Public Health
- National Certified in Public Health (CPH) Examination: For the 2020-2021 academic year, the MPH Program maintained a CPH pass rate above the national average in each core area.
- Competency Assessment: In the 2020-2021 Academic Year, 92.5% of students surveyed at graduation indicated that their level of mastery of the Program competencies rate was good or excellent.
- Degree Completion Rates: The maximum time to graduate is six years and the MPH Program aims for a minimum 70% completion rate. In 2020-2021, the degree completion rate was 71%.
- Job Placement Rates: The MPH Program aims to have at least 80% of alumni employed within 12 months of graduation. Data collected from exit surveys and alumni surveys indicated that 100% of graduates from 2019-2020 reported being employed in the field of public health or seeking further education within 12 months of graduation.
- Degree Completion Rates: The maximum time to graduate is six years and the MHA Program aims for a minimum 80% completion rate within three years. In 2019-2020 the degree completion rate within two to three years was 92%.
- Alumni Survey: 83% of alumni surveyed in 2020-2021 indicated that the competencies adequately prepared them for work in the field, and 83% indicated they would recommend the MHA program to others.
- Job Placement Rates: The MHA aims to have at least 80% of alumni employed within 12 months of graduation. Data collected from exit surveys and alumni surveys indicated that 100% of graduates from 2019-2020 reported being employed in the field within 12 months.
- Comprehensive Examination: The Program aims for a minimum pass rate of 80% amongst students taking the concentration specific comprehensive examination as a first attempt. In the 2020-2021 Academic Year, the first attempt pass rate was 75% in all concentration areas.
- Competency Assessment: In the 2020-2021 Academic Year, 100% of students surveyed at graduation indicated that their level of mastery of the Program competencies rate was good or excellent.
- Job Placement Rates: The PhD aims to have at least 80% of alumni employed within 12 months of graduation. Data collected from exit surveys and alumni surveys indicated that 100% of graduates from 2019-2020 reported being employed in the field within 12 months.
The UNTHSC College of Pharmacy had its first graduating cohort in spring 2017. Examples of student achievement measures that are tracked by UNTHSC for the College of Pharmacy graduates include:
- National pass rates on the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX)
- Employment Rates
- Graduation Rates
- Residency Match Rates