Students who are 22 years old and younger*, will be required to provide documentation of a bacterial meningitis vaccination (or submit a waiver/exemption) by the deadline. The bacterial meningitis vaccination or booster must be administered within five years of the deadline.
*This is applicable only to new UNTHSC students or students returning from a leave of absence. Students registered in an online only program are not required to have this vaccination, but will need to submit the waiver for online only form.
It is important that students and their parents consult a physician about the need to be immunized against bacterial meningitis to prevent the disease. Be sure to read about bacterial meningitis. Immunizations are available from a personal physician or a local Health Department.
At this time, records for meningitis must be submitted to Medicat. If you do not have a Medicat user name password assigned yet, please submit proper documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Proper documentation includes the following:
- A certificate signed by a health care practitioner. (A Certified Document provides PDF document and forms recipients with added assurances of its authenticity and integrity.)
- An official immunization record that provides evidence of receiving the vaccination.
- A completed exemption form.
If you have questions about this process or if you have not received the email, please contact the Student Health Clinic.
Online Only Waiver
Records must be received by 5:00 PM 10 days before the first day of class.
Students will be allowed to enroll prior to submitting documentation. However classes will be cancelled after 5:00 PM on the date listed above for students who have not submitted proper documentation or requested an extension of the deadline (contact email@example.com for more information about extending the deadline). Students who do not submit their immunization record by the deadline will not be allowed to attend classes for the semester.
If you will be unable to make this deadline, please contact the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible!
Submitting Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Vaccination Records
• This form is not required. You can use this to assist you in getting documentation of the immunization.
Waivers & Exemptions
• Students that are enrolled exclusively in online (distance learning) courses and will not be attending any classes on the campus may submit a waiver for exemption from the meningitis vaccination requirement.
• This must be returned to the Office of the Registrar.
• Students will need to submit the Meningitis Waiver for Online Course Enrollment each term in which the exemption is requested. If the student wishes to attend classes on campus at any point, they must immediately submit proof of meningitis vaccination to the Registrar’s Office. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of courses.
• Used to request a medical exemption.
• Must be signed by a physician.
• Send to firstname.lastname@example.org and upload to Medicat.
• The form may only be obtained by sending a written request via fax, mail, in person, or through the online request website to the Texas Department of State Health Services. This form may take 1-2 weeks to receive.
• Upon receiving the affidavit in the mail:
1. Check the box beside the vaccine(s) you do not want to receive.
2. Go to a Notary Public and have it notarized (contact us about notaries on campus).
3. Only sign the form in the presence of a Notary Public.
4. Send to email@example.com and upload Medicat.
The 82nd Texas Legislature, Regular Session, 2011, revised existing statutory requirements for higher education students related to vaccination against bacterial meningitis. To read more about this legislation, please visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board website or read Title 19, Part 1, Chapter 21 SubChapter T of the Texas Administrative Code.
In 2013, Texas legislation changed making the age requirement for the bacterial meningitis under 22 years of age.
This page was last modified on May 18, 2017