Register for Accommodations
Eligibility for Services
Students who meet the following criteria may use the services of the Office of Disability Access
- Currently enrolled/accepted for admission at the University of North Texas Health Science Center.
- Have a documented disability that creates significant impairments, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Completed an online application form, including the furnishing of medical/diagnostic information as outlined in the documentation guidelines to ascertain appropriate accommodations.
The process below must be completed before the Office of Disability Access (ODA) can provide services or make recommendations to faculty. On average, the process takes at least two weeks to complete, but if your documentation does not meet all the requirements the process will be delayed.
- Submit an online student application for accommodations and submit documentation supporting the need for accommodations. Documentation can be submitted securely when completing the online student application. You may also submit documentation in person, by mail, or by fax.
- In-person: Hand deliver to the Student Service Center, 2nd-floor front desk; Attn: Office of Disability Access
- Fax: 855-604-0915
- Mail: UNTHSC – Office of Disability Access, Attn: Office of Disability Access (SSC 260), 3500 Camp Bowie Blvd, Fort Worth, TX 76107
- After you have filled out your application and submitted your documentation, please schedule a meeting with the ODA to discuss your request and documentation and to sign necessary forms.
- You must attend your scheduled appointment with the ODA Office before accommodations can become active.
If, after a review of your application and documentation, it is determined that the ODA Office will recommend academic accommodations, appropriate forms will be completed and accommodation letters will be distributed. Your faculty or designated representative(s) in your program will be notified of the recommended accommodations via email or in print. If appropriate, students should schedule a meeting with the appropriate faculty or designated representative to discuss the recommended accommodations. Accommodations are not retroactive and cannot be applied to any previous tests, quizzes, assignments, absences, or coursework.
You may contact ODA to schedule an “Informational Meeting” with the staff of the Office of Disability Access. In this meeting, we will discuss your concerns and help you decide if you wish to pursue formal accommodations with our office. We will explain what sort of documentation will be required for your disability. Official accommodations do not begin until the remaining steps of this process are complete. If you already have documentation, you may start the registration process.
Completion of a Student Request for Accommodation includes the following student responsibilities:
- Insofar as possible, to act as independent, self-directing, responsible adults with regard to meeting applicable Health Science Center standards of behavior and academic performance;
- Initiate open communication with the Office of Disability Access staff regarding academic accommodation needs or problems which may arise;
- Update documentation periodically, as the nature of severity of the disability changes, so that it accurately addresses current accommodation requirements.
- Meet with the Office of Disability Access each semester to request accommodations