Student Health Insurance Information
Healthcare and Medical Insurance in the U.S. can be complicated, confusing to navigate and very expensive. It will most likely be very different from your home country healthcare. We highly encourage you to watch this short video about the Overview of the US Healthcare System for International Students. It not only offers great tips about what you can do BEFORE you arrive in the U.S. to help you maintain great health but a general overview to help you navigate medical issues during your time in the U.S.
For customer service questions related to United Healthcare Resources, please call 1-866-429-4868.
You will need to create an account in order to purchase the repatriation and medical evacuation insurance
Dental and Vision Insurance Policy (Voluntary not required)
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ENROLLMENT AND WAIVERS (ALL PROGRAMS)
All international students have a charge for insurance on the tuition bill. International students in Clinical Programs (DO, PA, DPT, Pharmacy) are enrolled in the annual plan. International students in GSBS and SPH are required to re-enroll each long semester (Fall and Spring). The current pricing guide can be found HERE. NOTE: Students who take no action (Waiver or Acceptance) WILL be charged a non-refundable premium and enrolled in the school-sponsored policy for the remainder of the academic year.
To expedite access to the school-sponsored insurance, you need to ACCEPT enrollment. Once accepted, your coverage is effective as of the appropriate policy/semester start date.
TO ACCEPT INSURANCE:
- Go website https://unthsc.myahpcare.com/enrollment
- Click on the Enrollment Tab
- Scroll down to International OPT and International Graduates Enrollment Information. Click on hyperlink “Click Here” to waive or enroll in coverage.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Click here to Waive or Enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan”
- Enter your student ID and date of birth (MMDDYYYY) format (no slashes or dashes)
- Select Green ‘Activate Coverage” button under “Yes, I want the insurance.”
- Read the Terms and Conditions.
- If you accept them, enter your initials in the box and select the ‘OK button’
*To review policy documents and set up your MyAccount
Go to https://uhcsr.com/unthsc
Click –“Create an account” in the green box to set up your online account. This will allow access to your insurance card. (available on August 10th)
Waivers will only be accepted through the Census Day (September 1, 2020) for GSBS and SPH students.
- Have a government-sponsored insurance plan provided by your home government that is funding your tuition and cost of living while attending UNTHSC
- Have a health insurance coverage through a U.S. employer group policy OR be dependent on a spouse or family member’s policy through a U.S. employer group
- An insurance policy written in English
- Repatriation insurance coverage of at least $10,000*
- Evacuation insurance coverage of at least $7,500*
*Medical Evacuation provides you with transportation services in case you need to be evacuated to the nearest qualified medical facility, not necessarily to your home country. In some cases, the plan will bring you home once stabilized. Repatriation of Remains benefit is designed to cover the costs associated with returning your body to your home country if you were to pass away. ALL NON-IMMIGRANT VISA HOLDERS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE THIS COVERAGE.
If your plan does not include repatriation and evacuation but meets all other criteria, a separate standalone policy covering repatriation insurance may be purchased by clicking HERE. You will need to provide a receipt of proof of purchase for the standalone repatriation insurance to email@example.com.
TO WAIVE INSURANCE:
- Have your insurance card and school ID available
- Go to website https://unthsc.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Read the waiver statement
- Click on hyperlink “Click Here to waive or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan”
- Enter your student ID and date of birth in MMDDYYYY format (no slashes or dashes)
- Select the Blue WAIVE – Fall 2020-21 button under “Waive Policy year 20-21.”
- Complete the waiver form and attach your insurance documents.
- Select the “submit waiver” button.
*Approved waivers allow the insurance charge to be removed from your tuition bill. Allow 5-7 business days for posting of accepted waivers.
AHP Waiver System Student Training :
Waivers will only be accepted through the Census Day (12th class day) – September 1, 2020.
This page was last modified on August 13, 2020