Inviting a J-1 Exchange Visitor to UNTHSC

The J-1 Exchange Visitor status facilitates scholars, researchers, and professors to come to the United States for temporary periods for the purpose of educational exchange. Exchange visitors can be invited for a period of a few weeks for up to five years.

A J-1 visa is not an appropriate fit for tenured or tenure-track positions.

Requesting Documents for a J-1 Exchange Visitor

Departments should review the instructions and then submit a DS-2019 Request Form with all required materials to

1. Departmental Instructions

2. DS-2019 Request Form

3. FedEx Approval Form

Requirements for the J-1 Visa

Funding Requirements

Proof of financial support is required. Funding may be from UNTHSC, the Exchange Visitor’s government, personal funds, or a combination of these sources. Proof of financial support should be attached to the DS-2019 Request Form when submitted by the department.

The financial requirements are as follows:

· $1,300/month for the scholar

· $420/month for the J-2 Spouse

· $420/month per J-2 Child

Insurance Requirement

J-1 Exchange Visitors are required by the Department of State to hold sufficient insurance coverage throughout the duration of their program.

Effective May 15, 2015 requirements are as follows:

· Major Medical Coverage: $100,000 per accident/illness

· Deductible cannot exceed: $500

· Medical Evacuation: $50,000

· Repatriation of Remains: $ 25,00