Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team will work on behalf of UNTHSC to promote an understanding of diversity in thought, practice, and health care education. We will develop programming that equips UNTHSC health professionals of tomorrow to meet the needs of a dynamic global society.
Definition of Diversity:
Definition of Equity:
The act of being fair and just by eliminating barriers to access, opportunity, and advancement for all.
Definition of Inclusion:
Ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to participate and that their perspective is taken into account.
Maximizing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
An institutional-wide effort to utilize all of our unique talents and perspectives to help create innovative solutions that will ensure we all work together to reach our goals, live our values, and realize our vision.
It is the responsibility of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team to:
- Design and implement programming that integrates Our Values and Behaviors in to diversity, inclusion, and social change education
- Develop metrics for measuring success of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team programming
- Evaluate programming and implement changes as needed
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team Goals:
- Students will be able to identify the unique beliefs, values and practices that create a culture, as well as significant elements of culture (clothing, food, language, family, history, etc.)
- Students will recognize that culture shapes perceptions and worldview.
- Students will be able to evaluate the effect one’s culture has on perceptions of other cultures
- Students will analyze and appreciate the interaction of different cultures and recognize ways in which it strengthens personal and professional relationships.
- Students will learn to find the courage to commit themselves to doing what is right in difficult circumstances even when that decision is not the popular one.
Links to the Tools Used to the Develop UNTHSC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Program:
This page was last modified on September 30, 2019