Research in this are focusses on distribution, management and prevention of diseases and examination of health systems across the globe. Our faculty engage in the application of principles of public health to improve health and achieve health equity for populations globally, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
Dr. Ashenafi S Cherkos
Dr. Nolan Kline
Dr. Malinee Neelamegam
- Annan, E., Angulo-Molina, A., Yaacob, W. F. W., Kline, N., Lopez-Lemus, U. A., & Haque, U. (2022). Determining perceived self-efficacy for preventing dengue fever in two climatically diverse Mexican states: a cross-sectional study. Behavioral Sciences, 12(4), 94. DOI: 3390/bs12040094
- Kline, N. (2022). Health and immigration systems as an ethnographic field: Methodological lessons from examining immigration enforcement and health in the US. Social Science & Medicine, 300, 114498: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.114498
- Kline, N. (2018). Life, death, and dialysis: Medical repatriation and liminal life among undocumented kidney failure patients in the United States. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review, 41(2), 216-230. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/plar.12269
- Hasan Bhuiyan MT, Mahmud Khan I, Rahman Jony SS, Robinson R, Nguyen UDT, Keellings D, Rahman MS, Haque U. The Disproportionate Impact of COVID-19 among Undocumented Immigrants and Racial Minorities in the US. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Dec 2;18(23):12708. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph182312708.
- Neelamegam, M., Looi, I., Cheah, W. K., Narayanan, P., Hamid, A. M. A., & Ong, L. M. (2013). Stroke incidence in the south west district of the Penang island, Malaysia: PEARLs: Penang acute stroke research longitudinal study. Preventive Medicine, 57, S77-S79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2012.12.022
- Salim NAM, Wah YB, Reeves C, Smith M, Yaacob WFW, Mudin RN, Dapari R, Sapri NNFF, Haque U. Prediction of dengue outbreak in Selangor Malaysia using machine learning techniques. Sci Rep. 2021 Jan 13;11(1):939. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-79193-2.
- Shrestha N, Shad MY, Ulvi O, Khan MH, Karamehic-Muratovic A, Nguyen UDT, Baghbanzadeh M, Wardrup R, Aghamohammadi N, Cervantes D, Nahiduzzaman KM, Zaki RA, Haque U. The impact of COVID-19 on globalization. One Health. 2020 Dec 20;11:100180. DOI: 10.1016/j.onehlt.2020.100180.
- Yiengprugsawan, V., Healy, J., Kendig, H., Neelamegam, M., Karunapema, P., & Kasemsup, V. (2017). Reorienting health services to people with chronic health conditions: diabetes and stroke services in Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Thailand. Health Systems & Reform, 3(3), 171-181. https://doi.org/10.1080/23288604.2017.1356428
- Leung RYH, Cheung BMY, Nguyen US, Kung AWC, Tan KCB, Cheung CL. Optimal vitamin D status and its relationship with bone and mineral metabolism in Hong Kong Chinese. Bone 2017;97:293-298. doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2017.01.030. Epub 2017 Jan 24.
- Peeri NC, Tao M, Demissie S, Nguyen USDT. Sleep duration, chronotype, and insomnia and the risk of lung cancer: United Kingdom Biobank Cohort. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2022 Apr 1;31(4):766-774. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-21-1093.