Flash Flood Safety Tips
- Get out of areas subject to flooding, like dips, low spots, washes, etc.
- Stay away from high water, storm drains, ditches, ravines, or culverts. Even moving water only six inches deep can knock you off your feet. Move to higher ground.
- Avoid already flooded and high-velocity flow areas—don’t attempt to cross a flowing stream.
- Never drive through flooded roadways in case the roadbed is no longer intact.
- If your vehicle stalls, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Be cautious at night when it’s harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Don’t camp or park your vehicle along streams and washes, particularly during threatening conditions.
- Do not let children play near storm drains.
- If you come upon a flooded roadway never drive through it.
Do not be a flood-drowning statistics by ignoring driving safety rules during a flood event.
Information Source: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/water/tadd/