Fire and Smoke Emergencies
- If you detect smoke and/or fire:
- Activate the manual fire alarm
- Initiate evacuation procedures for any occupants of the affected building(s)
- Call 911
- Give your name, telephone number, and location.
- Describe the situation.
If the Fire Alarm Warning Sounds
- Immediately initiate evacuation procedures.
- Assist disabled persons in your area.
- Feel all doors with your hand before opening. If the door is hot, do not open it. If the door is cool, open it slowly, keeping behind the door in case you have to quickly close it to protect yourself from oncoming smoke or fire.
- Proceed to the ground level and outdoors.
- Go to your designated assembly area (if possible).
- Do not go to your automobile or attempt to move it from the parking lot. This could hinder access by emergency vehicles.
- Do not congregate near building exits, driveways, or roadways.
- Do not reenter the building until an “all clear” is issued.
Building Evacuation Emergency
All occupants should know the emergency evacuation routes and procedures for the building, and their designated assembly area outside the building. Memorize the exit route closest to your work area or office.
If a Building Evacuation is initiated:
- Remain calm.
- If you occupy an enclosed office, close the door as you leave.
- Use stairwells (do not use elevator) for evacuation.
- Do not return to your area until the “all clear” signal is given.
This page was last modified on May 24, 2018