Threat Call Procedures
Download and print this Threat Call Procedures and Checklist and keep a copy at your desk.
In the event you receive a threat call (i.e., bomb threat, armed assault, and custody issues):
Do not hang up! Remain Calm! Obtain as much information as possible!
- Listen carefully. Be polite and show interest.
- Try to keep the caller talking to learn more information.
- If possible, use a signal, or pass a note to alert other personnel to call campus police, or as soon as the caller hangs up, immediately notify campus police yourself at (817) 735-2600 or dial 2600 from a campus phone.
- If your phone has a display, copy the number and/or letters on the window display;
- Complete the threat checklist (below) immediately. Write down as much detail as you can remember. Try to get exact words.
- Immediately upon termination of the call, do not hang up, but from a different phone, contact campus police immediately with information and await instructions.
Threat by Handwritten note
- Call the Campus PD Emergency Line at (817) 735-2600 or dial 2600 from a campus phone.
- Handle the note as minimally as possible
Threat by Email
- Call Campus PD Emergency Line at (817) 735-2600 or dial 2600 from a campus phone.
- Do Not Delete the Message
DO NOT use two-way radios or cellular phone; radio signals have the potential to detonate a bomb.
DO NOT evacuate the building until police arrive and evaluate the threat.
DO NOT activate the fire alarm.
DO NOT touch or move a suspicious package.
If There Is An Explosion:
- Take cover under sturdy furniture, or leave the building if directed to do so by emergency responders.
- Stay away from windows.
- Do not light matches.
- Move well away from the site of the hazard to a safe location.
- Use stairs only; do not use elevators.
- Call University Police at (817) 735-2600.