- Please submit an IBC protocol using IDEATE link (FireFox is the preferred browser). All protocols must be submitted using IDEATE. Follow this tutorial to get started. Ideate Use Tutorial. For issues regarding IDEATE and IDEATE access please contact IdeateSupport@unthsc.edu.
- Materials considered potentially infectious/pathogenic may include: bacterial agents, fungal agents, viruses, parasites, toxin agents, prions, and human tissue or body fluid. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC’s) Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories – 5th Edition categorizes biological agents/material into containment levels referred to asnBiosafety Level 1, 2, 3, or 4.
- These classifications are based on infectivity, severity of disease, transmissibility, and the nature of the work being conducted. Currently, there are no research projects on the UNTHSC campus classified above Biosafety Level 2.All activities involving recombinant DNA (r-DNA) must be registered with and approve by the Institutional Biosafety Committee.
- For details of registration/approval process please check UNTHSC Biosafety Manual (click here) Section X.
- Please submit an IBC protocol using IDEATE link (FireFox is the preferred browser). All projects involving recombinant DNA techniques conducted at or sponsored by an institution that receives NIH funds for projects involving such techniques must comply with the NIH Guidelines. Noncompliance may result in: (i) suspension, limitation, or termination of NIH funds for all recombinant DNA research at the institution, or (ii) a requirement for prior NIH approval of any or all recombinant DNA projects at the institution.
- Labs conducting work with pathogenic agents must be inspected prior to initiation of the project. Biosafety office will inspect the laboratory, assess training needs, and provide the appropriate lab signage.
- Please use UNTHSC Biosafety check list inspecting your lab to make sure that your lab is in compliance with UNTHSC Biosafety policy and procedures.Medical Surveillance Emergency Contact Information
This page was last modified on December 12, 2017